No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

id be careful using Jet chips. there not the same company as they used to be. they have sold quite a few "chipped" ecu's that ended up being nothing more then a sticker slapped on the case. tons of info on it can be found just searching google. so if you go that route, id def take some pics internally of the ecu before sending it out, and be compering them once i got it back. cause there pretty expensive, and it would be a shame to spend that much on a pretty sticker.
    ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
    ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
    What are you driving?

Comment

Thanks man. I've decided I'm not going to use them. Damkid grabbed me a transmission computer today, so worse case, I can make a small circuit board that will trick it into thinking it's shifting properly.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Since it is obII could you get a tune from SCT for it and flash it through the obII port?
        SPI swapped

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WhiteLightning96

Comment

For what I was thinking, I'd need more than that would be capable of. I don't think those work with Mazdas anyway. Also I have to keep the emission laws in mind.
          sigpic
          1992 Familia GT-X
          1988 323 GTX
          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

yea. ive never heard of any hand held tuner that has broke the mazda encryption.
            ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
            ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
            What are you driving?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              My later on plans involve some kind of boost, whether i just pull the KL and drop in a KJ (millenia S) or a mild turbo setup
              clicked on the thread expecting the worse, scrolled thru the pics and saw the red Festiva, went back up and saw the screename and read the first post and thought to myself.................... Twincharge the KJ!
              1993 Mercury Tracer, KLDE VItara build swap, Compound turbos, 12 injectors, 2 wastegates, 2 Megasquirts, 2 axles, 2 everything, why not

2nd Compounded KL in the world

Comment

^ i like that idea!
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I had an idea I was keeping to myself until I knew it would work. I was building a digital dash for the p5 with a Bluetooth OBDII adaptor and an android tablet. I was going to mount it in the instrument cluster, but the scan time on the OBDII port is too slow, which makes the tach choppy. The other gauges all work perfectly, so I'm still going to use it, just not in place of the cluster.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

To bad you couldn't find a way to go threw factory OBDII data... It wouldn't be as choppy then... global OBDII data is really slow...

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking at alternatives, I really want it to happen. The tach is basically unusable except to see idle speed and while cruising. I believe it's about 5 scans a second.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

And.... 1 bar boost map sensor came in today. Started to run rough after a lengthy test, but it was because my battery cable came loose. I only drove it on gravel, so no traction to really test it out. I'll hopefully get some time to button it up this weekend, although I'm helping my buddy with his newly acquired GT-R.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Sweet glad to hear it arrived safely!!
                          Last edited by Damkid; 01-19-2012, 04:30 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Got the car plated and insured today. It drove nice and smooth, no hicups except the car now runs at 0.5 bar, which is its first gear safety level. No changes have been made since it last ran. No new DTC codes, I'll have to look at it some more. I drove it around for 20 minutes or so, it sure was nice to have it on the road.
                            sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Awesome!! Now time for a driving vid haha

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Alright, I figured out the boost problem. I drove it nicely till it warmed up the last time, and I forgot to check pending DTC codes. I reset everything while warm this time and got full boost for a minute or two, then got a speed sensor code, the engine knows the car is moving, this cuts the boost in half. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it yet, I may have to wire the trans computer in after all. I have another crazy idea I will try first.

Also, I may need a new clutch, either that or I was getting 4th gear wheel spin. I have gobs of torque,an open diff, the roads are frozen, and the car is on summer tires, so this is likely.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'm going to try to splice in the crank position sensor with the vss line, so the pcm will see a vehicle speed proportional to RPM, this may make it at least happy enough to keep me in boost.

Another thing, this engine doesn't engine brake at all due to the miller cycle. It's weird because you have all this power, then let off the gas, and it's almost like you pushed in the clutch. That was probably a consideration as to why the KJ was never mated to a stick. I'll just have to adjust my driving accordingly.
                                Last edited by DuRWooD; 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM.
                                sigpic
                                1992 Familia GT-X
                                1988 323 GTX
                                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X