1.6'ers represent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by protetype
    this is something i posted a long time ago on the other board... hopefully it helps you, it has helped a lot of other people. and when i say spray the maf with water.. i mean spray just a tiny bit *around* the edges, not directly on top of it, and just a little bit, enough to notice if the water is dissapearing.
    i'll try that stuff. i knew the was a problem with the MAF becuase if you just look at the design, it's just asking for trouble. which if you look at the new mazda3's the MAF looks the same as the 1.6. anyways i just thought the problems was becuase the CAI wasn't creating enough low-end power to get the car going. but the vacuun leak sound like that could be it
    sigpic
    1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
    1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
    2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

the problem only occurs at low rpm like 1-2k. Every range of the rpm above that works great. only at take off's it happens
      sigpic

Comment

Hay guys I've experienced the same problems with the 1.6L MAF which by the way is the same MAF sensor that is on my 03 WRX Wagon. I had the same problem you guys seem to be experiencing and it was a bad throttle position sensor I replaced it and everything was fine. Also had a leak at the MAF once and had problems.
        David Potter
        99 Protege 1.6L Turbo
        03 WRX Wagon
        03 Dodge Ram Hemi
        “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing,and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
        · Ernest Hemingway
        <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
        My 99 Pro pics here
        www.wagnermotorsports.net

Comment

Originally posted by biknman
          Hay guys I've experienced the same problems with the 1.6L MAF which by the way is the same MAF sensor that is on my 03 WRX Wagon. I had the same problem you guys seem to be experiencing and it was a bad throttle position sensor I replaced it and everything was fine. Also had a leak at the MAF once and had problems.
          bout time you jumped on the site brother... Long time no see.
          I see your turbo is coming along pretty damn swift.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

bruce95fmla
            bout time you jumped on the site brother... Long time no see. I see your turbo is coming along pretty damn swift.
            Thanks bro,

Things have changed a lot for the Protégé it’s a full modified trailered race car now. Turbo is working great with the help of Andy at Wagner Motorsports. I'll have some pics posted on my web site soon (link in my sig)of things i.e. custom front control arms, rear custom TTL links, Custom Intake manifold short runners with custom fuel rail running RC eng. injectors all managed by custom ECU by Andy at Wagner Motorsports. Oh lastly I've also converted the rear drums to 12" Wilwood disc and I'm running 16x225 Hoosiers all the way around and we will be tinkering with making a fiberglass hood and maybe fenders.
            David Potter
            99 Protege 1.6L Turbo
            03 WRX Wagon
            03 Dodge Ram Hemi
            “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing,and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
            · Ernest Hemingway
            <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
            My 99 Pro pics here

Comment

Originally posted by biknman
              bruce95fmla
              Thanks bro,

Things have changed a lot for the Protégé it’s a full modified trailered race car now. Turbo is working great with the help of Andy at Wagner Motorsports. I'll have some pics posted on my web site soon (link in my sig)of things i.e. custom front control arms, rear custom TTL links, Custom Intake manifold short runners with custom fuel rail running RC eng. injectors all managed by custom ECU by Andy at Wagner Motorsports. Oh lastly I've also converted the rear drums to 12" Wilwood disc and I'm running 16x225 Hoosiers all the way around and we will be tinkering with making a fiberglass hood and maybe fenders.
              Yeah man, I was looking at the new photo's of your car. I see your running the T3 now.. That's frigin sweet.
              I emailed Andy earlier today. I wanted to see what it may run me to get a manifold and downpipe made for my 1.8 Protege. I am thinking about running a ball bearing T28. I will wait for the response from him and see what it will cost me to get the work done.

Damn your car must be a monster. You have any intention of installing some forged internals. Or doing some block work so you can really up the boost levels.
              Bruce
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Not this year. Next year I'll see about some 8:1 pistons and some forged rods and maybe some nice SS valves and some head work.
                David Potter
                99 Protege 1.6L Turbo
                03 WRX Wagon
                03 Dodge Ram Hemi
                · Ernest Hemingway
                My 99 Pro pics here

Comment

i got my from Injen... it's awesome but for some reason when i race someone becuase the Cold air is more for top end my car seems to bog down and then pick up after a few seconds... i just i need more bottom end to accually get some where. i may be way off but thats what i believe. if anyone can relate or tell me something different that would be great.. i really wish i knew why that happens. ofcourse it's probably becuase sometimes i'm a crappy driver
                  hey man i noticed my car does the same thing only around 3.5 RPM if i go lower or higher it stop's it's only at that certain RPM rev.
                  Chris Opito

Comment

i got my intake for the 1.6 a week ago and everytime i hit around 3-4k rpms when im doing about 70 it kinda "shudders" it does it at lower speeds too. I dont know if that is what your talking about but if anyone knows whats up with that let me know.
                    yep i am a dumb ass i ment to quote this guy in my above post
                    Chris Opito

Comment

thats the low end torque everyone complains about.

2000 White Protege LX
                      Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                      2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                      Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                      Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                      Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                      Kenwood Music Keg
                      Black Widow Keyless Entry
                      Intake- Custom SRI
                      Clear Corner Lights
                      APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

my intake did that when i got it, i had a cold air, once i did the short ram it went away, its almost like its choking for air, but i dunno.
                        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                        225.94wtq
                        torque monster!!!!
                        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

darn, should i look into a short ram then?, it feels like the car is fallin apart worse then my old car a 97 dodge neon haha
                          Chris Opito

Comment

I don't believe that the CAI is harmful to your car. those problems that Protetype mentioned seem to solve the problem. Suppose it's just whether you enjoy to low end power or high end power
                            sigpic

Comment

im not saying its harmful, im just saying the car ran like ass at about 4 grand with the CAI. and it runs fine with a short ram.
                              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                              225.94wtq
                              torque monster!!!!
                              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

suppose harmful is a bad way to discribe.. just bad
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X