1.6'ers represent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new 1.6er

just got pro a few weeks ago and loven it. little week off tha line but man she'll fly at rollen start!
    light'en'em up! always

honda
    1999 protege DX
    auto trans sony Xplod replacing all stock speakers. roadmaster 12" sub.

Comment

well, i guess you guys can go ahead and welcome me to the club, although i have been a protege owner for quite some time. my first car was a 92' mazda protege 1.8l DOHC.. i just recently traded it in for a 00' pro 1.6l DOHC. one thing i can say is that i am totally satisfied with the appearance change.. but im totally disappointed with the performance change.. being completely ignorant to the subject i downgraded in horsepower without knowing.. feels like im driving a flintstone car, i just wanna stomp my feet through the floor board and start kickin to give it an extra boost.. someone say something good about my 1.6er to keep me from trading it in :/. btw, i havent even made my first payment yet!

Comment

Originally posted by 2klx
        well, i guess you guys can go ahead and welcome me to the club, although i have been a protege owner for quite some time. my first car was a 92' mazda protege 1.8l DOHC.. i just recently traded it in for a 00' pro 1.6l DOHC. one thing i can say is that i am totally satisfied with the appearance change.. but im totally disappointed with the performance change.. being completely ignorant to the subject i downgraded in horsepower without knowing.. feels like im driving a flintstone car, i just wanna stomp my feet through the floor board and start kickin to give it an extra boost.. someone say something good about my 1.6er to keep me from trading it in :/. btw, i havent even made my first payment yet!
        well, it looks better and its quicker than a Geo Metro..meh

Only thing I could think of...lol
        Da SR20 Beast

Comment

how easy would it be to up the 1.6's hp to what the 1.8 has? thats all i really want, im not looking to hit the drag strip i guess if it at least had the equal amount of what the 1.8 has, i would consider keeping it.

Comment

Well you could always do what Witchdoktor did. He turboed his 1.6 but he is not running an intercooler. I think he is at 5 or so boost. Gives it more pep but by no means makes it a drag car.

Comment

your telling me that im going to have to put a turbo in my 1.6 to equal its power of to what a 1.8 has?! i think im gonna be sick.

Comment

Originally posted by 2klx
                your telling me that im going to have to put a turbo in my 1.6 to equal its power of to what a 1.8 has?! i think im gonna be sick.

lol...no no no

The 1.6l dynos at 70hp/77tq to the wheel. (I know because I dynoed mines. What an embarassment )

The 1.8l dynos around 90-100whp

If all you want is to reach that goal, all you would really need to do is buy the simple mods;

(appoximations)
                Intake - $250
                Header - $450
                Exhaust - $350+

And if you don't know how to install them yourself, don't forget to and more $$ to that.

It would be wiser to go with the turbo kit from WagnerMotorsports.com
                With I/H/E, you will only gain 15hp at the 'most' for over $1000 worth of mods. You might as well save up another $400-500 and get the non-intercooled turbo kit from Wagner, which yields 150-160hp to the wheels. That you will definitely be satisfied with.
                Da SR20 Beast

Comment

Originally posted by redrims

The 1.6l dynos at 70hp/77tq to the wheel. (I know because I dynoed mines. What an embarassment )

Is your 1.6L an automatic? because I dyno'ed my 1.6L and I got 92.2horsepower with 100.3 Ibs/torqe. (Note: still under powered, but impressive for a little 1.6L)
                  Jeremy W
                  '99 1.6L Protege
                  JDM Clear corners/ Injen Intake/ AWR Motor Mounts/ CP Racing 4 point Strut Tower Brace/ CP Racing Lower Tie Bar/ Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust/ JDM Mazdaspeed Adjustable Struts/ Mazdaspeed B-Spec Springs/ Mazdaspeed Front & Rear Swaybars/ Mazdaspeed Trailing Links/ Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines/ 16" Rota Racing Grids on Falken Azenis/ P5 Steering Wheel/ CG Lock/ Alpine 9833 Deck/ Focal Access 165A (fronts) and Fosgate 6x9 (rears)/ JL Audio 12W3 (sub)/ Zapco 650 Amp/ 1 Farad Cap connect with 2 gauge wire/ Clifford Alarm

Comment

Originally posted by Sky_high
                    Is your 1.6L an automatic? because I dyno'ed my 1.6L and I got 92.2horsepower with 100.3 Ibs/torqe. (Note: still under powered, but impressive for a little 1.6L)
                    Whoa!!..that is impressive. You probably got the good bach...Lucky bastard...lol
                    You're up there with some 2.0l. Shawn (Lost_Conception) dynoed at 97hp and 100tq with his auto P5.

Yeh, mines is an auto, but a friend of mine has the 5sp and he dynoed at 84hp with intake and exhaust.
                    Last edited by redrims; 12-17-2003, 10:23 PM.
                    Da SR20 Beast

Comment

damn dude
                      that auto 1.6L is pityfull
                      lol

well, at least it gets me from one space to another
                      and has one hell of a look to it, and not to mention the handling
                      so, it makes up for it

turbo the hell out of it when i finish school

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

i have a 1.6l
                        also, i think that i am the only member that has a 1st gen protege with a b6 engine. but i am taking care of that
                        One day you are born,
                        The next big milestone
                        you discover go zoom-zoom
                        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Originally posted by Sky_high
                          mind posting your dyno charts? i'd love to see this.
                          -mike lucero
                          1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                          2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
                            i have a 1.6l
                            also, i think that i am the only member that has a 1st gen protege with a b6 engine. but i am taking care of that
                            what wrong with the b6? turbo it. i've got a spare b6t ecu just sitting here.. if no one wants it, it's going back to RRE for my core refund. my little 323 1.6l puts down 130whp
                            -mike lucero
                            1988 Mazda 323 GTX
                            2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Comment

well actually there is something bad. i have some valve trouble with it and mechanic told me that it is expesive to fix and that it will be even worse with time. when i step on gas in neutral, it chokes and then revs, she is mostly dead in low rpm. and now my clutch is gone after 200k km so it is much cheaper to get a new engine and gearbox. with any luck, it wil be a 1.8 DOHC
                              One day you are born,
                              The next big milestone
                              you discover go zoom-zoom
                              you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Hi everyone. Just found this site, looks interesting. I have a 99 LX 1.6 and I have to say that it is pretty slow, but it handles great. Personally, I think handling is more important than straight line speed. (but more speed would be better)
                                Personal 1/4 mile: 57 sec @ 14 mph
                                Haven't tried with the pro yet...

Comment

Working...
                                X