1.6'ers represent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ProtonPants
    Hi everyone. Just found this site, looks interesting. I have a 99 LX 1.6 and I have to say that it is pretty slow, but it handles great. Personally, I think handling is more important than straight line speed. (but more speed would be better)
    welcome
    totally agree with the handling thing, especially for the 1.6l
    Enjoy and welcome again to the forums

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

Originally posted by protetype
      mind posting your dyno charts? i'd love to see this.
      Sure, will do.
      Jeremy W
      '99 1.6L Protege
      JDM Clear corners/ Injen Intake/ AWR Motor Mounts/ CP Racing 4 point Strut Tower Brace/ CP Racing Lower Tie Bar/ Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust/ JDM Mazdaspeed Adjustable Struts/ Mazdaspeed B-Spec Springs/ Mazdaspeed Front & Rear Swaybars/ Mazdaspeed Trailing Links/ Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines/ 16" Rota Racing Grids on Falken Azenis/ P5 Steering Wheel/ CG Lock/ Alpine 9833 Deck/ Focal Access 165A (fronts) and Fosgate 6x9 (rears)/ JL Audio 12W3 (sub)/ Zapco 650 Amp/ 1 Farad Cap connect with 2 gauge wire/ Clifford Alarm

Comment

Hey there,

Okay, I don't know how to link my Dyno sheet to this, so I just added it to my 'Yahoo' account.

Sorry Link removed!!!

BTW, if you want you can see my trip to Cancun too (Just got back)
        Last edited by Sky_high; 01-06-2004, 09:47 AM.
        Jeremy W
        '99 1.6L Protege
        JDM Clear corners/ Injen Intake/ AWR Motor Mounts/ CP Racing 4 point Strut Tower Brace/ CP Racing Lower Tie Bar/ Brullen Cat-Back Exhaust/ JDM Mazdaspeed Adjustable Struts/ Mazdaspeed B-Spec Springs/ Mazdaspeed Front & Rear Swaybars/ Mazdaspeed Trailing Links/ Goodridge Stainless Steel brake lines/ 16" Rota Racing Grids on Falken Azenis/ P5 Steering Wheel/ CG Lock/ Alpine 9833 Deck/ Focal Access 165A (fronts) and Fosgate 6x9 (rears)/ JL Audio 12W3 (sub)/ Zapco 650 Amp/ 1 Farad Cap connect with 2 gauge wire/ Clifford Alarm

Comment

From Nov 2002 T28 no IC really with only a 12:1 FMU running about 8psi on a 1.6L motor its was like 40 degrees with about 60%humdity Wagnermotorsports setup ver2

From Spetember 2002 T28 at 6 lsbs of boost and it was like 110 degrres out with 100% humdity NO Intercooling at all VORTEC FMU at 8:1 basicsally Witchdoctors aka Danny current kit
          Wagnermotorsports setup ver1

FYI before taking the car off the street for racing only, I had almost 30,000 miles on Andrew's (Wagner Motorsports) manifold/turbo setup with absolutely no problem at all. Not even from day one. The main problem I had was fuel cut from the damn Mazda ECU and the clutch burning up in about a week but those problems have been solved. Those miles include about 30 Autoxs, several strip days, and a couple track event, plus daily driving to and from work 82 miles round trip driving all the time like a stole it. Hell some evenings I could race around the D.C. and Baltimore Beltway at no less than 100mph if I could help it. By the way I’ve had the speed needle past the 130 mark more than once.

Currently I'm running a Custom Turbonectics T3/4 with 3in in and out no cat exhaust 21/2 IC piping a conquest FMIC and water/menthol injection plus RC 240cc injectors no oem fuel regulator but a Wagner Motorsports FMU and a Apexi AFC also no MAP sensor or emission can smoke the tires though third gear no problem. We are adding a custom fule rail and intake manifold this winter to include a Quaife LSD, stage 3 ACT clutch, custom flywheel. car only runs on 100 Sunoco race gas. I would predict that I'm in the low 200 on whp and close to low mid 200 in wheel torque.
          David Potter
          99 Protege 1.6L Turbo
          03 WRX Wagon
          03 Dodge Ram Hemi
          “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing,and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
          · Ernest Hemingway
          <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
          My 99 Pro pics here
          www.wagnermotorsports.net

Comment

You know i was just surfing the web at work and started to read the 1.6 repersentin' and you guys helped me out so much. I could never get any questions of mine answered. Well i have some more, hopfully you guys can answer them.
            Looking at the corksport website i've notice the 170hp swap but only for the ES/MP3/MP5 without any other info beside that, do you believe that swap would be difficult in a 1999 1.6? the only other option would be that Variable valve timeing 130hp engine but if i bought that i would only want it for the V-tec sound and since i did some research on it, the VVT engine is more like the toyoto VVTi and not like the B16A (I despise honda but they make that cool sound when v-tec engages)
            or Finaly would the 1.6 just be a decent basis for a good motor? I'm only wanting to push maybe 200 or 250 hp. I don't want like 1,000 hp (when i buy my R34 maybe) just something to keep up with my honda loving friends... and my mazdaspeed friends
            sigpic
            1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
            1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
            2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

Originally posted by .Zero

Looking at the corksport website i've notice the 170hp swap but only for the ES/MP3/MP5 without any other info beside that, do you believe that swap would be difficult in a 1999 1.6?
              The swap isn't too difficult, just very costly. The reason why they only have it listed for the ES/MP3/P5 is because it will be a direct swap for the 1.8l and 2.0. The 1.6l is a completely different motor, so it won't just drop in. You would need new motor mounts, and new tranny, new tranny mounts, new ecu, new axles, and a lot of other minor things that will add up$$$. Overall, you will probably end up spending over $7000.

*edit*- (From the Protege FAQs)
              " For 1.6l ZM-DE owners insisting on swapping their engines to the FS engines, you
              will need the following in addition to the G15M-R transmission, wiring harnesses and
              ECU (this assumes you have a manual transmission and the FS engine you buy have
              the necessary motor mount bosses already installed onto the engine):
              BL3K-39-040 #1 engine rubber mount
              BL3K-39-06YA #3 engine rubber mount
              BL3K-39-070A #4 engine rubber mount
              BL3K-39-080G #4 engine mount bracket
              GA2A-41-380C clutch line
              BL3K-46-100 shifter mechanism
              GA15-25-700B joint shaft
              The following is only applicable to cars based on brake system:
              FA71-25-50X right axle, non-ABS
              FA61-25-50X right axle, ABS
              GD24-25-60XA left axle, non-ABS
              GD23-25-60XC left axle, ABS
              For the people wanting to use the F25M-R transmission for whatever odd reason:
              You must get a F25M-R from a 1999-2000 FP engined Protegé
              BJ0N-39-06YD #3 engine rubber mount
              FA54-25-700A joint shaft
              The following is only applicable to specific cars based on VIN:
              BJ0N-39-040C (car # -134481)
              B25D-39-040B(car # 134481-)
              For the brave souls who want to reuse their stock F25M-R transmission, you must
              swap the bell housing of the transmission. This basically means a transmission
              rebuild-- even if you are just reusing the internals. The part number for the bell
              housing side of the transmission is F5E1-17-150E. Do remember that the gear
              ratios between the 1.6l and 1.8l cars are different."

would the 1.6 just be a decent basis for a good motor? I'm only wanting to push maybe 200 or 250 hp. I don't want like 1,000 hp (when i buy my R34 maybe) just something to keep up with my honda loving friends... and my mazdaspeed friends
              Yes, if you are looking for about 200hp, then this motor is capable of getting you there. Contact Wagner Motorsports on their 1.6 Turbo project. They currently have 2 kits out for the1.6l. There is nothing but positive things to say about their work and they won't rape your wallet also.
              Last edited by redrims; 01-04-2004, 03:43 AM.
              Da SR20 Beast

Comment

Dear God... screw that idea.

i looked at the turbo thing and that sounds like a great idea.
                was it $1700? i don't know where i seen that at i guess i'll have the call them
                Last edited by .Zero; 01-05-2004, 06:38 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Dear God... screw that idea.

i looked at the turbo thing and that sounds like a great idea.
                  was it $1700? i don't know where i seen that at i guess i'll have the call them

Yes, I believe it was $1700 for the non-intercooled setup at 5psi.
                  Da SR20 Beast

Comment

Here's another question... anyone find cams, cam gears or any other internal engine modifications or even underdrive pulley's for the 1.6 or is the "1.6 family" screwed?
                    sigpic

Comment

Here's another question... anyone find cams, cam gears or any other internal engine modifications or even underdrive pulley's for the 1.6 or is the "1.6 family" screwed?

Yes, there are cams available, but I don't think it'll be worth the price and hassle to ship them over here. They come from the 1.5l jdm motor that has SVT (sequential valve timing) with slightly more aggressive cams and will only give you about 5hp-7hp. I doubt more than that, but we still haven't had anyone officially test them with the 1.6l motor yet. So until then, it's only accurate predictions and theories.
                      Last edited by redrims; 01-10-2004, 02:59 AM.
                      Da SR20 Beast

Comment

I have a Q, how much HP does the 1.6 have and how much does it weigh? just wonder

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                          I have a Q, how much HP does the 1.6 have and how much does it weigh? just wonder
                          HP...at the end of page 8

weight...approx. 2500lbs
                          Da SR20 Beast

Comment

YO 1.6L here (this is my second post) wanting to take some updated pics. of my car but ya it's winter and the car is Camra shy in the winter haha but ya i got a injen cold air, skunk 2 coil overs, custom exhaust with a rice rocket muffler thast sounds nice, and a few odd's and ends exo-mods, still lovin the car as i did the day i bought it
                            Chris Opito

Comment

Originally posted by Oshow01
                              YO 1.6L here (this is my second post) wanting to take some updated pics. of my car but ya it's winter and the car is Camra shy in the winter haha but ya i got a injen cold air, skunk 2 coil overs, custom exhaust with a rice rocket muffler thast sounds nice, and a few odd's and ends exo-mods, still lovin the car as i did the day i bought it
                              Welcome to clubprotege Oshow01

Comment

thanks everyone seems like a great bunch up i here~
                                Chris Opito

Comment

Working...
                                X