Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VJ-20 & VJ-23 Turbo and Manifold Comparison...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
    yeah, well you mine as well just drive around with drag radials on, cause you wont get traction, pat (ne3ek) has the gt-x motor in his car, and has tried to get traction with good tires and good suspension, and its worthless.
    Good suspension? I thought he was mostly stock?
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

yeah, well you mine as well just drive around with drag radials on, cause you wont get traction, pat (ne3ek) has the gt-x motor in his car, and has tried to get traction with good tires and good suspension, and its worthless.
      ppl with higher hp's than his have gotten traction without drag radials. Its not like its impossible, just got to find the right suspension setup to keep the front tires glued to the ground. That and really wide really sticky street tires.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I do agree with thegoldpro, Pats GTX setup will break lose in a heartbeat . And he had azenies with zx2 struts and sprint springs. The GTR is a whole different ballgame. I would suggest looking for a 4wd protege or some type of lsd in due time. I bet 2nd and 3rd gear with a gtr turbo is insane

Comment

you think that the GTR is that bad ass???

I would think that with wide enough tires you might see a little slippage, but not that much.

Comment

Ive heard the GTR hits boost hard and will break lose very easy. And thats from like 10 people

Comment

this was taken at pat's house long ago lol. There are more random pics in that folder if you guys wanna take a look. more gtx vs gtr pics too.

Comment

thats what im saying, if you have not driven one, then you have no idea, pat has a good suspension setup, and still cant get traction.
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

get a lsd, or a boost controller-good one, that will solve your traction problems

Comment

fwd sucks
                    Dan
                    dreesemonkey

Comment

what do you consider good tires? I've got a GTX in my wagon, running regular 205/50-15 falken azenis, and the only times i don't really get traction are if i rev it up pretty high and just dump the clutch. I even had 185/65-14 goodyear Viva touring radials (some of the hardest compound tires you'll ever regret buying, the f$#king things will not wear out...) and didn't have a ton of problems with traction, unless i completely beat on the car....

of course, i haven't had the car to a dragstrip, where I imagine I will have some traction issues. most of my traction issues arise from cornering forces on the autocross/track, not in straightline acceleration forces.

--sarge

Comment

welllll

@ about 9 psi I had tried toyo proxies w/good tread spun the top of first @ wot I would spin the top of first and get traction in all other gears.

same boost w/205-50-15 azenis I still spun the top of first, not at the track though (drag) I could spin em if i dumped it but topend was great.

drag radials hooked good.

So I'm sure how you guys are getting such remarkable traction, but share the wealth! I run about 14psi now or whatever my 3" wants me too lol, and it's still about the same :/
                        00 dakota 4x4
                        90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Are we talking on the street or on the strip? I'm having trouble with the fact that < 250whp with good suspension is having traction problems w/o drag radials. How many wheel horses are we talking?
                          Current Cars
                          2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                          1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                          1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                          1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Originally posted by FineWine
                            Are we talking on the street or on the strip? I'm having trouble with the fact that < 250whp with good suspension is having traction problems w/o drag radials. How many wheel horses are we talking?
                            that is what I was thinking when I orginally posted, but apparently the GTR pulls like no other and will break the tires loose no matter what. I would love to own one, but for now I am going to stick to my vj 20.

Comment

Odd. I guess I'm going to have to see that one (or feel, I guess) before I fully comprehend it Either way, I can't wait to have that problem -- I should be finally getting mine started up again this month.

My camaro, which is putting 300hp down on the road, barely has traction problems on street tires and stock suspension. In a straight line, I can break them lose on a cold day on concrete going into second, thats about it.
                              Current Cars
                              2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                              1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                              1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                              1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

well like pat said he has **** for traction in first, which is cool for a burnout contest, but ghey for anything else.
                                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                                225.94wtq
                                torque monster!!!!
                                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Working...
                                X