Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VJ-20 & VJ-23 Turbo and Manifold Comparison...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I rode with Intruder last night, my tires just spun through second, but I have some no-name tires made in the Czech Republic.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
      Yeah, I rode with Intruder last night, my tires just spun through second...
      That was trippy. lol

Comment

Originally posted by charles
        Yeah, I rode with Intruder last night, my tires just spun through second, but I have some no-name tires made in the Czech Republic.
        Is that with the GTX Ecu and wiring? I am not sure if you got it to work yet...
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

No, that's with the LX ECU.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Just how much can my stock n/a 1.8 BP take horsepower wise? I've heard that the mazda GTX has all the goodies like forded pistons, etc. being able to sustain 300-400 hp with no problems. Does this stand true for the regular N/A bp as well? If not how much BS can my bad boy take? Im debating whether to do a custom turbo set up on the current engine or just popping in the 1.8 gtx engine or maybe gt-r if i can find it. Thanks...

Comment

your bp and the gtx share everything as far as internals. The stock bp can take quite a bit of punishment, probably output more power than you can put to the ground.

also from what I have read, the gtx can go up to 300 whp reliable. if you want more then you need the gtr turbo or aftermarket turbo. sub 400 hp is alot to demand from the small vj 20. Keep in mind tho other stuff starts to break down alot faster when pushing 400 hp through a drivetrain.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by FineWine
                Odd. I guess I'm going to have to see that one (or feel, I guess) before I fully comprehend it Either way, I can't wait to have that problem -- I should be finally getting mine started up again this month.

My camaro, which is putting 300hp down on the road, barely has traction problems on street tires and stock suspension. In a straight line, I can break them lose on a cold day on concrete going into second, thats about it.
                Your camaro has wider tires, a better suspension for putting down power (liveaxle), and it's rear wheel drive.

Do the math.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                  your bp and the gtx share everything as far as internals. The stock bp can take quite a bit of punishment, probably output more power than you can put to the ground.

also from what I have read, the gtx can go up to 300 whp reliable. if you want more then you need the gtr turbo or aftermarket turbo. sub 400 hp is alot to demand from the small vj 20. Keep in mind tho other stuff starts to break down alot faster when pushing 400 hp through a drivetrain.
                  Well i dont think that the vj20 can even hold 300 hp efficiently- you have to go into T3/T4 territory- but what im implying is the question of whether or not i actually need to swap in the BP-T to make 300hp, when i can just pop on a custom turbo kit in my current BP, which is quite healthy, and go from there- upgrade-wise.

Comment

vj20 can't do more than like 230ish to the wheels lol
                    00 dakota 4x4
                    90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Originally posted by m3luckyoo
                      Well i dont think that the vj20 can even hold 300 hp efficiently- you have to go into T3/T4 territory- but what im implying is the question of whether or not i actually need to swap in the BP-T to make 300hp, when i can just pop on a custom turbo kit in my current BP, which is quite healthy, and go from there- upgrade-wise.
                      If your current n/a motor is in good condition, there's no point in swapping the gtx motor in there. Just use the turbo and manifold from the gtx or go for a custom setup. The two motors are basically identical, but have different compression pistons (lower for the gtx).
                      '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by ne3ek
                        vj20 can't do more than like 230ish to the wheels lol
                        I meant 300 at the flywheel...... my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                          If your current n/a motor is in good condition, there's no point in swapping the gtx motor in there. Just use the turbo and manifold from the gtx or go for a custom setup. The two motors are basically identical, but have different compression pistons (lower for the gtx).
                          yeap + the n/a has a better flowing head and that little bit of higher compression will help w/power.

I swapped because my motor had 211k miles on it, it ran like a champ but i think it was time to give it a rest.
                          00 dakota 4x4
                          90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Originally posted by ne3ek
                            yeap + the n/a has a better flowing head and that little bit of higher compression will help w/power.

I swapped because my motor had 211k miles on it, it ran like a champ but i think it was time to give it a rest.
                            Well, there's some advantages of getting the gtx motor. You get the proper injectors with it, better intake manifold, turbo cams, possibly AFM and a few other things.
                            When I did my swap I used the n/a head and pistons so we'll see if that will give me some extra power in the end....
                            '91 LX

Comment

also oil lines, and you can work on the gtx while your other motor is in the car, then after the swap sell your old motor on here or to someone else for some quick $$$

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                                also oil lines, and you can work on the gtx while your other motor is in the car, then after the swap sell your old motor on here or to someone else for some quick $$$

ya kinda why i did what i did, i replaced all the gaskets on my gtx and was able to do all the work i wanted OUT of the car and i loved it..

I forgot about the inj and intake mani lol, funny and i always used to use those for defense in the bp/bpt arguement. eh
                                00 dakota 4x4
                                90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Working...
                                X