No announcement yet.

Turbo upgrade, FMIC install, 460 injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out these guys will do my bead rolling for a couple bucks a pipe. SWEET!
    Edit to add pics
    I asked the guy if he was offering this service to anybody and he said to me, "I'm the shop foreman. I'm the right guy, at the right time, and the machine is already set up and ready to go". Basally I got lucky since most of the work they do is prefab kits. They seemed like cool guys though and would be willing if it doesn't take them too far out of their comfort zone. $2 a bead.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1st Gen; 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

I wish I had a local turbo shop lol
      -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
      VF10 powered!
      262 Whp & 257 Wtq
      13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

It sucks that something so basic is so hard to source. I wonder if Napa does it?

Comment

Hey your outlet pipe looks a looot better than mine haha. I'm making up some new pipes this season though.
          -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
          http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Sweet fmic bud looks reeal good and you should love the new upgraded turbo should give you some extra ponies and i know i miss being boosted miss me vf12

Comment

So I got over to the turbo shop today, ref post 16. It took the guy about 6 minutes and $10 bucks. I've got to mod one more bung for the bov, then I'm just waiting on the last coupler.
              I didn't put any oil in the turbo housing when I assembled it so I'm going to leave the coil wire off while I crank it till the oil pressure comes up. It's not the perfect solution but it should work just fine.
              Putting the bumper on should be kind of interesting so I'm not sure how long that's going to take. Looks like we might be having a road trip this weekend.

Comment

great progress jon! i might look in to getting my pipes beaded, as some of mine arent. also i still would love to see this car sometime, i never even saw it when jace had it

NW MAZDAS

Comment

jon. a proper solution.
                  pull the spark plugs out & then pull the main fuse. so neither spark or fuel are activated while cranking......
                  the motor will be able to spin without building compression thus not spinning over the turbo while you prime it with oil............

its alot easier on your battery as well
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

what's wrong with putting some oil in the CHRA with a syringe? It's what I do when she's been sitting for +30 days lol. Takes me all of 6-7 minutes with a wrench.
                    -Jack

Comment

jack that is okay if the turbo is in storage. but honestly you should be pressurizing the CHRA bearing housing with oil if its spinning at any rate faster then by hand(which cranking the motor will do)

I took the care to make sure this turbo was oiled while it was in my possession.
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

The last piece came in the mail today so it's just modding and reassembly left. The bad news is my DD blew a heater hose. Funny too because it happened when I pulled into the driveway.
                        I bought some oil I'll put into an oil can so I can fill up that bearing. I'm not going to take the spark plugs out but I am going to take the coil wire off. If I weren't filling the chamber with oil, then taking the plugs out just seems like a good idea.

More pics as I get more done.

Comment

jon. its a ****ty idea & will take far longer then just loosening the spark plugs. don't be lazy about it.
                          just do it proper

Comment

Followed your advice. It took a full 30 seconds for the oil pressure to come up. I was thankful I did it that way
                            The lifters are complaining but it seems to run just fine. Warmed it up with no issues. About to go for a test drive.
                            If it turns out to be reliable, then I'm happy with the way it turned out. I still have to put the bumper on, and I'll keep an eye out for coolant/oil leaks. Besides that, WOOT!
                            More pics later as I have time.

Edit-I think the BOV isn't stiff enough. It doesn't get up really.

Edit-I think it's probably running pig rich is why it's not making good power.
                            Last edited by 1st Gen; 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

What BOV are you running? Also what VAF? May have to play with the wheel to fine tune the fueling.
                              -Jack

Comment

glad its up n running tho!!!

the lifters usually sound angry at first until you bring the RPM's up & get em really working

Comment

Working...
                                X