No announcement yet.

FSP 1st Gen Protege Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, i saw the results, that's why i bumped the thread.

Congratulations!!!!!!!

What was very interesting to me was that you were only about an average of 0.05 of a second behind the SMF winner across both days. o_O You've given me new hope to my project, and i thank you for it!

Are you going to come out for the Toledo event? I'll be sure to come watch (maybe compete, crossing my fingers) if so.

Comment

WELL done making the front page!!!! its great to see some BG recognition
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by concealer404 View Post
        What was very interesting to me was that you were only about an average of 0.05 of a second behind the SMF winner across both days. o_O You've given me new hope to my project, and i thank you for it!

Are you going to come out for the Toledo event? I'll be sure to come watch (maybe compete, crossing my fingers) if so.
        Don't put too much into the SMF times. Hardy's turbo Civic is fast, but he was having power steering issues all weekend and I think he eventually had to run the car without power steering. It was leaking fluid from the rack. A 300hp Civic on 275 Hoosiers with no P/S would probably be undriveable by someone my size. Hardy is much bigger than me and one of the announcers said he was only able to get the car through the course using pure rage. The other SMF cars were very underprepped and on nowhere near enough tire.

I did have a long conversation with Jinx Jordan about how much fun a SMF 323 hatch with a turbo BP would be.

We are planning on coming to Toledo, but I can't confirm until we see how the budget works out. I want to go to Dover too, but will have to see if FSP has enough entries to make a class. I don't have much of a need to go to Dover if no other FSP cars show up, but it would be good seat time for my co-driver and girlfriend.
        Last edited by XelderX; 05-10-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

^^ I've got a friend with a civic hatch, with a jackson supercharger on it. over 250 at the wheels easily, and the thing weighs 1700lbs wet. With some stinky-wide slicks, I got to take it for a run or two. unbelievably fast. He made power steering work on it, and even WITH the power steering, you had to be on top of it and still start your input before you actually needed it. I'd been dealing with a depowered rack on my AE86, running 255/40-13 A6's, and I was having a bear of a time making it turn in the slower sections. Scrub radius kills. I can just imagine what would happen running 275's with that kind of power, on a FWD car, and a manual rack..

Congrats on your win!!!

--sarge

Comment

Congrats on the win.. Its great to see such close competition... Makes me really wish I could afford to come down and compete... Up here we have such a small scene that the competition isn't half as close... Any idea when we can see some video? or even take a peek at the data logging you did??

I think going my route with a KL powered 323 is better then turbo BP power for SMF.... racing both my 2wd B6T car and my gtx I found it hard to control power when boosted... With my KL powered car its slightly more powerfull then my B6T 2wd car was but its sooooo much easier to control power...

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
              Don't put too much into the SMF times. Hardy's turbo Civic is fast, but he was having power steering issues all weekend and I think he eventually had to run the car without power steering. It was leaking fluid from the rack. A 300hp Civic on 275 Hoosiers with no P/S would probably be undriveable by someone my size. Hardy is much bigger than me and one of the announcers said he was only able to get the car through the course using pure rage. The other SMF cars were very underprepped and on nowhere near enough tire.

I did have a long conversation with Jinx Jordan about how much fun a SMF 323 hatch with a turbo BP would be.

We are planning on coming to Toledo, but I can't confirm until we see how the budget works out. I want to go to Dover too, but will have to see if FSP has enough entries to make a class. I don't have much of a need to go to Dover if no other FSP cars show up, but it would be good seat time for my co-driver and girlfriend.
              Yeah i talked to Dave yesterday and he said that he blamed it on you putting in some awesome runs, and his power steering. I think you've overestimated his power though. He's making about 200-210whp.

I'm a little worried with the power steering... i'm not going to be running it on mine, but my rack will be properly depowered, instead of fighting a dead system like it sounds like Dave was.

Congrats again and keep me posted on Toledo! If all goes well, i'll be running SMF there, but severely under-tired, just running RS3s this year.

Comment

Congrats on the win!

Didn't build the motor? Make sure your valve springs didn't get shimmed..
                2003 Protege5
                1990 Protege LX (sold)
                1990 Protege DX (sold)
                1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                  Any idea when we can see some video? or even take a peek at the data logging you did??

I think going my route with a KL powered 323 is better then turbo BP power for SMF.... racing both my 2wd B6T car and my gtx I found it hard to control power when boosted... With my KL powered car its slightly more powerfull then my B6T 2wd car was but its sooooo much easier to control power...
                  We've got some video, but my co-driver has to crop it and get it uploaded. Not sure when that will be done, but hopefully soon. I'm not real bright on the data acquisition system that he was using. I'm sure we have a lot of cool stuff on it, but I'm not sure if you can access any of it without having the DL-1 software. I think he did say that you could download the analyzing software for free. I'll check on that.

I think you are right about the KL over the F/I BP. I'm curious what the weight difference would be between the a KL swap and a turbo BP once they are completely put together. I'll be not much.

Originally posted by concealer404 View Post
                  Yeah i talked to Dave yesterday and he said that he blamed it on you putting in some awesome runs, and his power steering. I think you've overestimated his power though. He's making about 200-210whp.

I'm a little worried with the power steering... i'm not going to be running it on mine, but my rack will be properly depowered, instead of fighting a dead system like it sounds like Dave was.

Congrats again and keep me posted on Toledo! If all goes well, i'll be running SMF there, but severely under-tired, just running RS3s this year.
                  I thought Dave was making more than that, but I forgot that he is running a high compression motor along with the turbo. Less HP to be made safely, but the turbo spools extremely fast.

Originally posted by cojsl View Post
                  Congrats on the win!

Didn't build the motor? Make sure your valve springs didn't get shimmed..
                  Haha...I was standing there when the head was put back together so I got to watch the whole process. Nothing funny going on in there. Valve springs for the BP are still available so we just put new ones in to replace the worn old ones.

Comment

Yay...more cell phone pictures. This time, the rear spoiler build.

I'll remove the protective film once I finalize the install. I will probably have to do a few modifications before it works the way I want. It is probably too big, but we will know for sure this weekend. I have one more brace to add to it that should stiffen it up laterally. I'm hoping we can tape some 6' pieces of yarn to the rear window, trunk lid and spoiler then put a HD video camera pointed at it to see how the air flow works around it.

Comment

you actually need a spoiler?
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

It helps, but again, you run into the problem of trying to increase downforce at relatively low speeds, so in Autox situation, you typically have to run a bigger/more aggressive angle than in other motorsports, which is pretty much what he's done here.

Comment

Yea...the theory is, and it's only a theory....

I need the car to rotate more at low speeds (0-40mph) and maintain the way the car handles now at higher speeds (40-70mph). The only way we can legally do that is with aero. My hope is that we can increase the rear spring rate by 50lbs which will cause the car to rotate more at all speeds. At low speeds the spoiler won't have much if any effect on rear grip allowing the car to rotate quicker. At higher speeds the spoiler will start to work and the extra rear grip will cancel out the additional spring rate and keep the car from rotating too much. We don't need a huge increase in low speed rotation, and we really don't need any increase at all in high speed rotation.

Basically I'm trying to set the car up so that it is loose and then cancel that out at speed with aero. We'll see how it works out. The event this weekend is at an airport so I'm expecting some higher speed elements. We won't have the stiffer rear springs on the car, but we really just want to concentrate on how much effect moving the spoiler around gives. I can simulate stiffer springs a little by running more rear tire air pressure. Our local event next month is at a much smaller lot where we really never get up to speed. I'll have the stiffer springs on the car there and dial in the slow speed stuff.

Comment

very tuned in to hear your results

Comment

I also went back in on an exploratory diagnosis of why we are still fuel starving. I took the fuel pump out and the gas level was just to the top of the stock baffle (should register as more than 1/2 tank). I fuel starved in a long right hand corner with 2.5 gallons less in the car than what is in there now. I got to looking around and the secondary fuel pump I added had completely dislodged itself o the point it wasn't doing anything helpful. I re-secured it better and put it all back together. I also added a one-way check valve (late model Mustang one) in-line with the feed line coming out of the fuel pump. I'm hoping if the main fuel pump looses pressure the check valve will maintain whatever pressure is in the line for a second or two until the fuel pump picks up again.

Comment

pictures of this fuel pump setup PLEASE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X