No announcement yet.

FSP 1st Gen Protege Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wishing you luck on Day 2!!!!! I never would have expected that 2002 to be so damn fast. o_O

Comment

It was good meeting you guys. Sorry I didn't get to hang out more. We had close to 40 locals running at Nats this year. Which meant a lot of running around, trying to cheer them all on. Car looks good... and while you may or may not have finished where you wanted to, it's obvious that you guys are great drivers and the car is VERY capable. Good to see it in the trophies, too!
      Justin T. ~ SCCA FSP 1994 Protege LX

Comment

Thanks man, we had a lot of locals too and our run/work assignments meant I didn't get to see you run. We had a very tough two days, but my co-driver was able to get his first National trophy. I made a few driving mistakes on my first run, day 1 and then had that freak rear brake problem with the concrete sealer getting stuck in the caliper which destroyed my second run. 3rd run was just trying to be clean, but went too slow. Day 2 had some other issues going on, but we salvaged as best we could.

FSP and FSPL had some really strange stuff going on with cars breaking and bad luck. Mechanical issues affected 4 or 5 cars and took two of those completely out of the event (Civic spun rod bearings...Corolla lost 2nd gear). Running in the 5th Heat didn't help us or the Mazda3 due to being a little heavier cars and trying to keep the tires cool.

We had a nice 18 hour drive home to think about the mistakes we made and what we can do better. The car was definitely better than it was last year, but we missed the setup slightly and with a little bad luck/driving mistakes on top it put us way back. We already have a plan for the car.

Comment

Did you tow the car or drive it out there?

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
            Thanks man, we had a lot of locals too and our run/work assignments meant I didn't get to see you run. We had a very tough two days, but my co-driver was able to get his first National trophy. I made a few driving mistakes on my first run, day 1 and then had that freak rear brake problem with the concrete sealer getting stuck in the caliper which destroyed my second run. 3rd run was just trying to be clean, but went too slow. Day 2 had some other issues going on, but we salvaged as best we could.

FSP and FSPL had some really strange stuff going on with cars breaking and bad luck. Mechanical issues affected 4 or 5 cars and took two of those completely out of the event (Civic spun rod bearings...Corolla lost 2nd gear). Running in the 5th Heat didn't help us or the Mazda3 due to being a little heavier cars and trying to keep the tires cool.

We had a nice 18 hour drive home to think about the mistakes we made and what we can do better. The car was definitely better than it was last year, but we missed the setup slightly and with a little bad luck/driving mistakes on top it put us way back. We already have a plan for the car.
            I was curious what happened with you guys.. I noticed you were down in the standings... How is the lip and wing working out?

Comment

Originally posted by concealer404 View Post
              Did you tow the car or drive it out there?
              We towed...I don't have a title for this chassis so it has to get towed everywhere. When/if I build another one it will be on a registerable title so we can drive it to locals. That would save us a ton of money...enough to easily offset the title/insurance fees.

Comment

apply for a lost title @ the DMV.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                  apply for a lost title @ the DMV.
                  I'm having to do that with another car I own and you need to have the original owner sign the form as well. The original owner of the Protege lives in a different state from me now. I haven't spoken with him in several years.

Comment

telephone/mail him.
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

not suggesting illegal or immoral activity, but if his signature was faked the only way it would be an issue is if said previous owner decided he wanted it back...

and lets face it DMV personnel cant really dispute the signature
                      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Been a while since I've updated. I've been working on a few changes.

Here is the new front splitter design...

Here are the numbers from the scales with 150lbs in the driver's seat (yes I only weigh 150lbs). I'm making some changes so this is just a baseline. I'm hoping she will be a little lighter next season.

Working on the new airbox. Here is the base...should have it finished this week.

I'll also be working on a new header, intake manifold, and replacing the front wheels with 15X10 949 Racing 6ULs to match the rears.

Comment

That's looking good, nice crossweights there!

--sarge

Comment

keep with the updates.... i love following your progress

Comment

Progress looks good. I was wondering if you were going to get the 15x10 6UL's for the front. That should look really good. Were you still thinking of testing some other sizes for the rear?

I'll likely be joining FSP next year with a "mild" prep. So if you have any leads on suspension, etc., feel free to give me a heads up. So far it's looking like my best (somewhat affordable) option is converting Koni reds to "sport" or "race" specs.
                              Justin T. ~ SCCA FSP 1994 Protege LX

Comment

Nice work on the splitter. Any plans for suspension changed in light of the new allowances?
                                2003 Protege5
                                1990 Protege LX (sold)
                                1990 Protege DX (sold)
                                1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Working...
                                X