KL-ZE questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midnightblue97
    If it were possible, why would one not just find a bh 323F front clip and use that?? I realize that would cost money to find and import......
    Remember even the 95 and 96 MX3s were still BG chassis.
    you could but I thought that the 323F's came with the KF-ZE (2.0L)
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
      you could but I thought that the 323F's came with the KF-ZE (2.0L)
      Still a K series.
      The MX3 came with the K8 and people put the kl's in them.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Well i said not to use the parts form a 95 mx3 on a protege but i didnt specify. You could probably use the Mounts - tranny - and hoses and all that . but on the 95 MX3 the Axles are differnt, and wont fit into the 1st gen , and the spindle is has its minor differences also. But it will work ont he 1st gen just needs more with it. IF you use the 90-94 stuff u will need less.
        LIke if u use the 95 Axles...u will need the 95 Spindles and allt he connecting pieces(i dont know there name) the metal piece at the bottom that has 2 bolts on it...lol im bad with car part names on wiht the suspension. But if u use the 90-94 mx3 axles, u wont have to worry about the spindles, u can just use the 1st gen ones. I was thinking that the 95-97 proteges were the same way. So i meant that they might be compatible...

ARe the axles on the 2nd gen compatible with the 1st gen spindles? If they are, than the 95 mx axles wont work. But if they arent, than it MIGHT work...

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
          ARe the axles on the 2nd gen compatible with the 1st gen spindles? If they are, than the 95 mx axles wont work. But if they arent, than it MIGHT work...
          2nd gens are 95 to 98.

Axles are not the same. There are axles for the 95 with the G-tranny, and the rest are the same (96-98) but none of them interchange with the 1st gen.

Comment

WEll in that case, the 95 mx3 axles might fit in the 2nd gen spindles..

Comment

This is probably why he wants to import a 323F clip lol.

Comment

I ain't importing nothing.
                THough, if my plans work out, I might be going to Amsterdam next year and finding a set of E spec headlights in a junkyard, maybe some other **** too. We'll see.
                Speakinmg of Amsterdam, its 4:20, I'm going to bed.
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Speakinmg of Amsterdam, its 4:20, I'm going to bed.
                  It's 10:20am in Amsterdam.

Comment

First of all, if there is any sort of FAQ for this specific engine point me to it and disregard the rest of this post.
                    If not, what would be the minimum octane requirements? being run in the North american markets? IIRC the way octane is rated is slightly different in the rest of the world. I'll just assume that regular is out, but what about midgrade?? Or premium all the way??
                    Are there any common/known problems or issues that one should be aware of?
                    Aside from Japan, I don't know where else this engine was available, though I will assume that it was available almost everywhere except North America, where would one purchase a FSM in english? NZ?? U.K.?
                    Aside from the ECu, and some mechanical parts, is everything else, basically compatible with the KL-DE from th MX-6 like sensors, belts, plugs etc should any of these need to be replaced??
                    Thats about it. Thanks.
                    damn you could've just IMed me all these questions.

First off, don't go to mx-3.com for info on the k-series. Probetalk is far better since those guys have built a million of them & think up crazy ways to make more power.

Secondly....KLZE was available in europe and aussie/nz land among others. Finding onei s easy as ****. The straight-neck klze's have the agressiver kl31 cams while the curved-neck (the ones that fit mx3/protege easier) ones only have the USDM spec kl01 cams. I bought a kl31 cammed klze sold the manifold & eventually got a curved-neck manifold. FYI the millenia KLDE is ALMOST identical to a true klze, the only thing it is missing are the kl31 cams and the 10:1 compression pistons, it has the same bigger square ports, curved-neck manifold IS identical, same throttle body, kl01 cams.

Thirdly.....Yes the lantis is basically a BA chassis so getting its clip would definitely be the best way to swap it in there, I think the front nose on it is longer so it might not work out how you want, but maybe the fenders/bumper/etc swaps to a protege body? (that'd be ****ing awesome)

Forthly K-series parts all interchange, its amazing actually, They are more interchangable than any honda motor, or any engine family I"ve seen for that matter. All have the same coolant, knock, cam angle sensor, oil pressure sender. The KLZE's and probably most non North american k-series have external ignition coils. The usdm models have internal coils. Airflow meters are a bit different between the KLDE (uses KL02 vaf), K8DE (uses JE50), and Millenia (KL47). The KLZE uses the JE50 so just source a mx3 afm to get the proper one. You can use any afm but the car won't run right unless you use its corresponding ecu.

The wiring harnesses are all interchangable, if you have an automatic ecu, you can use it with your 5-speed harness and vice versa.

You can swap ANY manifold onto ANY k-series. K8 mani fits KLZE, etc....only difference is klze's and millenia motors have square ports while the k8 and probe klde have round ports, KFZE has round too.

K8 and KF heads are identical

All camshafts interchange

All exhaust manifolds interchange. my stock K8's were stamped "KL01", as were my KLZE's. Only diff is the USDM KL and K8 have egr while most klze's don't, there is a bung & pipe on my k8 while my klze has nothing but blockoff plates

Oil pans are all the same ****ty stamped steel pos. Prone to getting bent inward if the engine is transported.

All but the curved-neck models have a 2-stage oil cooler simlar to the BP's, just 2 coolant hoses hooked into a coil that is supposed to cool the oil. Millenias have an external unit apparently.

Throttle bodies almost all interchagne. Only thing is...the curved-neck's have a ever-so-slightly different throttle body and you cant' use them on any other manifold. The K8, straight-neck KLZE, and the USDM KLDE and the KFZE all use teh same style throttle bodys, only exception is the K8's t/b has its IAC valve plug on the left side while all of the others have it on the right. But it bolts up either way. Another FYI, K8 and Kf t/b's are 55mm, all others are 60mm.

I'm probably missing something. I'll mention that the KJ miller-cycle is pretty much useless to you. The lifters, cams, all that **** wont' work at all, Apparently the only thing worth getting from that motor are the lower comp pistons (apparently same bore as KLDE) and the rods are beefier, possibly the crank too. The rest of it is useless and forget about swapping it into your car! It has dual-intercoolers all kinds of funky ass intake plumbing and manifolds which translates to very bulky. wont' fit for **** in your car evAr111
                    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Holy **** ****.
                      Good post. Thanks for all the info, thats really helpful.
                      So what octane do you run?? Reg, mid, or premium??

Comment

As i understand it, the Millenia intake mani has hybrid ports. They start out square in the chamber, then morph into round ports to match the KLDE heads.

I'll know for sure as soon as mine arrives

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                          As i understand it, the Millenia intake mani has hybrid ports. They start out square in the chamber, then morph into round ports to match the KLDE heads.

I'll know for sure as soon as mine arrives
                          What? You mean your actually working on the v6 swap? :p:

Comment

yes gro is right probtalk>mx3.com

Comment

jdm kl01 cams are said to be different from usdm kl01 cams in that they make more torque then the kl-31 cams because they are used on bigger cars i.e. Xedos6/MS8
                              1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                                yes gro is right probtalk>mx3.com
                                ...but I have heard from ppl that joined here that they were told backpressure is a good thing from the probetalk board.

Comment

Working...
                                X