X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL. that is true.
    1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

its not bad, i mean u need backpressure. BUt minus that, they have tons and tons of writeups on motor builds, and boosting kl's etc.

Comment

no you dont need backpressure.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

how your valves gonna close than

Comment

valve springs. Explain how a car runs with open headers if backpressure is needed for valves to close?

edit ~> animation showing the springs at work.
            It's the reason you can put the pedal to the metal and go from 0 to 60 in seconds. But to the uninitiated, an engine can look like a jumble of metal and wires.
            Last edited by D323; 09-06-2005, 03:42 PM.

Comment

depends on the car, and what type. SOme ppl sat the mazdas dotn need as much backpressure. ANd V8 GM's love less backpressure. depends on what type of car what motor..

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                depends on the car, and what type. SOme ppl sat the mazdas dotn need as much backpressure. ANd V8 GM's love less backpressure. depends on what type of car what motor..
                some ppl are idiots too. Dont go off what ppl say. Go off proven facts and data.

Anything you can do to reduce backpressure is always a good thing on ANY motor.

The problem most ppl have is they take this to the extreme and get a 4in exhaust on a 4 banger, and then wonder why they lost power. Piping size is like adjusting the timing on a motor.... too far either way and it wont run right. Too big, and you loose all exhaust gas velocity. Too small and backpressure will pwn j00.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                  some ppl are idiots too. Dont go off what ppl say. Go off proven facts and data.

Anything you can do to reduce backpressure is always a good thing on ANY motor.

The problem most ppl have is they take this to the extreme and get a 4in exhaust on a 4 banger, and then wonder why they lost power. Piping size is like advancing the timing on a motor.... too far either way and it wont run right. Too big, and you loose all exhaust gas velocity. Too small and backpressure will pwn j00.

oh yes i am a hater of those "forum mechanics" lol, but i know that open headers on TA's do wonders.

i agree too much bp, is bad, but udo need some.. i thought u were saying that all is bad.

Comment

There will always be some backpressure. No system is perfect.

But ideally you do need to strive for a near 0 backpressure setup... minimizing what little you cannot avoid.

Comment

forget that, open header on a KL makes it run like ****. you NEED it, im tellin you...ill stand by that forever.

Comment

you need to keep up exhaust velocity. backpressure is a restriction of the gas, and too big a pipe causes it to lose all velocity and create problems. Ideally you want a pipe thats a perfect balance in the middle.

Comment

i hate u. your sayin the same thing i am but yoru wording it differently...lol

You need the flow, but u still need the pressure build up. to help keep the valves closed, and the compression tight.

Comment

lol, I just have trouble thinking that you need backpressure. From all that I have read, ideally you want a system that has none.

Wouldn't backpressure actually work against the idea of keeping the valve closed? If you have gas in the pipe and you have backpressure then the valve actually has to work harder to close against the gas that is staginate in the valve chamber and manifold.

Comment

No, you absolutely don't NEED backpressure. You NEED exhaust velocity. Get it straight.

The ideal system would have no backpressure and high velocity, but that's impossible as far as I know. A comprimise has to be reached.
                              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                                As i understand it, the Millenia intake mani has hybrid ports. They start out square in the chamber, then morph into round ports to match the KLDE heads.

I'll know for sure as soon as mine arrives

Dood...wtf!? I told you MANY times on AIM that the millenia had klze heads. Who the hell told you it had round "hybrid" ports. that sounds like some peice of fabricated trash information if I've ever heard it! I've never read anything even remotely like this, even on probetalk.

NO NO NO NO NO NO. the millenia heads are THE SAME as the KLZE...square ports ON THE HEADS AND MANIFOLD.

I know first hand. I pull millenia manifolds at the junkyard all the time. 4 so far, none had round ports evAr111
                                93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                                02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                                05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Working...
                                X