No announcement yet.

Nerd Racing's 94 Ford Aspire Work Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some wiring work to get ready for the swap!

Well I took the BP harness I purchased and removed all the extras I don't need!

The extras!

What remains!

I just have to flag and label the remaining wires, didn't even need a wiring diagram this time! I've done this too many times I think

Hopefully I will get to tearing it apart this weekend.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Looks like good work.. though i could never get into the aspire jsut way to small for me... had a friend that built one up.. was quick as hell but jsut not for me... of course he was 5'3" and 100lbs soaking wet LOL

Comment

They have a lot more room in them than you would think, I'm 5'11" and about 250lbs and I fit in it pretty well, I even have to move the seat up a little!

I really do like that they are not everyone's cup of tea, that's just how I like doing things. Plus who is going to think the little econobox aspire sitting next to them with a sorta big looking exhaust tail pipe and 14" steelies is going to blow the doors off of them when the light turns green?

I need to get home for a couple solid days to get the ball rolling on this project...
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

same way with a festiva, you would be surprised how tall you can be in one,

Comment

huh... were about the same size then... idk just seems small to me... but your right sitting at a light you wouldn't think anything of an Aspire LOL

Comment

Its been forever since I've had time to work on the car, and being spring break I finally had time to get working on it!

I had to slot one of the holes on the aspire struts to accommodate the protege LX front hubs.

I have both sides installed now and started taking apart the B3 so I can pull it with the trans in one shot.
              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

looking good. i found out today the aspire ran fine with the gtx ecu on the auto wiring harness. i thoought it wasnt suppose to.

Comment

Originally posted by aspireguy95 View Post
                  looking good. i found out today the aspire ran fine with the gtx ecu on the auto wiring harness. i thoought it wasnt suppose to.

Good info!!

I'm currently running a 97 auto Aspire for a DD car

Comment

he means the auto BP harness I wired up for him a while back.

It must be because of the 4 wire TPS. I would have snagged one of those if I knew, I'll just have to whip up one when the time comes, I plan on doing other major drivetrain mods before that.

I am also reinforcing the struts with the tabs cut off of a blown set of front MX-3 struts, so structural integrity will be preserved.
                    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

this makes me miss my suzuki swift gti.

sigpicWorlds first car with GPS was a Mazda

~~~~~~~~> Thanks again to member gooseinyou for the familia garnish <~~~~~~~~

Comment

ok so my mounts needed some work, it sat too close to the radiator.

Lowered the front mount for the Trans

simple 1/4" wall angle I like that its slightly over done :D

lowered it about an inch so it would tip away from the radiator with the exhaust manifold

Profoundly simple mounts, yet difficult to get exact. Note these will not work with a hydraulic clutch G-series, only the cable one from a Capri XR2 or 323GT.

Then once that was set I remade my passenger side mount. I couldn't go the angle route because the tolerances were so tight.

Cut the stock aspire mount

Then set it in place and made a cardboard template of what plate I needed

I bought some 1/4" steel plate and marked it out to be cut

All cut out (with a sawzall reciprocating saw and a hand drill for the holes)

Welded in place and bolted in :D

1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Now for the money shots!

And almost complete under the hood

I can almost taste it!

Good thing too because my daily driver is leaking oil pretty bad again and I already changed every oil seal.

Shoe horned in there isn't it?
                          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

That's looking pretty sweet! What's left?

Comment

waiting on my capri XR2 axles and new Aspire Rotors to go with my protege LX calipers (more stopping force from those calipers). Then I need to mount my battery box in the hatch back and splice a few wires under the dash.

Oh and fuel lines, I bought the hoses to run to the fuel rail and then the return line. I had to extend mine because I am using an EGT fuel rail. I had to buy adapters to convert the Ford fitting to a regular hose barb, but they seem to be pretty slick.
                              1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Nice work what is the biggest tire/wheel you can fit on an aspire?
                                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                                X