Rocketman's GTXR2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you from IsuZone!
    'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
    -Dean
    2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
    18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
    Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
    MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
    Injen CAI - Polished
    Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
    DaveB trim rings
    Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
    Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
    Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
    Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
    Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
    Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
    Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
    Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Yeah I've been over there a while, my RS is my next project to finish. I dont have much left to do to it, but I've been on a tight deadline with the GTXR2. Impulse should be finished by winter though.

Whats your handle on the 'zone?
      1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
      1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
      www.werbatfik.com

Comment

yo that is sick....What ru using for fuel control? did u chipp some kinda ECU? info info

Comment

This is the coolest swap in the world. And i got rid of my solid b6t swapped BF for a GTX when i could have just made one!

I think the resale value of my spare rearend/cradle just went up : )

-Brandon
          1988 323 GTX

Comment

Running stock B6T injectors on a RocketChipped ECU. Only boosting to 10psi right now. I'm also running a Walbro 255lph pump. If I do crank the boost I'll wire my Megasquirt back in and I have a set of 450cc injectors to run.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1579 View Post
              This is the coolest swap in the world. And i got rid of my solid b6t swapped BF for a GTX when i could have just made one!

I think the resale value of my spare rearend/cradle just went up : )

-Brandon
              You pretty much need an entire donor GTX to get all the parts you need. I have parts from at least 2 different GTX's on my car, it took forever to find all the stuff I needed, and even then I still ended up needing parts.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post

The steering rack is in the stock location. I have about 1/4" clearance with the tranny. I was going to move it upward but it worked out pretty good as it is. I have solid mounts so I'm not worried about the tranny smacking the rack.
                cool., how did the center mount for the driveshaft split work out for you?
                5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

also what was the hardest part of the swap, the rear subframe???
                  5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

I fabbed up a bracket and used some heavy duty threaded rod to hold the driveshaft bearing to the car. It was a little tricky getting it lined up but its on there good now.

The hardest part? Having the pull the engine & tranny after already installing everything and finding out that the clutch wouldn't disengage. (rusted input shaft. Check that before installing....) Also - finding out that front FWD axles dont fit the tranny when you have a one week deadline...ugh

Really it was all challenging, the rear went along pretty easily. Had to cut out a massive section of the trunk to get the subframe to fit, but I used that area then to also stuff a muffler system.

The fuel tank was really interesting - I had the option to find and install a GTX tank, or go for a fuel cell. I opted for a fuel cell in the trunk, with an external fuel pump.

The front subframe required a massive amount of cutting to clear the GTX tranny.I had to cut about 10" of it, and flatten out other parts, and then reinforce it all. The rear transmission mount is probably one of the hardest things I had to do, once the transfer case is there you dont have any room to cram a mount. I made a custom mount from some pipe and castable urethane, and luckily got it to fit. But there isnt any easy or pretty way to do it lol.

Other than that swapping the BP into a capri is a difficult thing in and of itself, I had to shorten the framerail on the passenger side quite a bit. Its all still running on B6T engine management, I really want to go back to Megasquirt so I have more control but I have to do one thing at a time here.

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Man, that sounds like a lot more trouble than the Tracer was. In both regards, that rear tranny mount is a serious PITA to fab up.

Again, nice work.

Get that MS in there running full stand alone and you'll fix those fuel consumption issues as well as getting a bit more power out of there.
                      -Kevin
                      -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                      -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                      -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                      -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                      -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

I didnt have to do as much cutting/ rewelding as you but I have a lot of really tight fits. Thanks man.

I'll get the MS in there soon enough.

Here are some more pics from the build

Modded struts, custom trailing arm ends / bushings

cut out ALL of the trunk lol

shortened the framerail then welded it shut again

shifter cables. There was a spot for them in the firewall but it wasnt punched out.

This is the custom exhaust I made for the rear. Its tucked up where the trunk used to be. I modified a 65mm Mustang throttlebody to use as a muffler bypass here - I can adjust the volume and tone of my exhaust from in the cabin. Closed - normal, medium volume. Open - loud, raspy as hell, vicious

15gallon fuel cell that ended up in the trunk, and one of the struts I had to mod. Struts came from a first gen 626 or something? Didnt work all that well, needed a lot of filing to fit, needed wheel spacers for clearance. But they were cheap

You can see more pics here but I havent added captions to anything yet

-Rocketman

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Looks awesome!
                          Russ couldn't stop telling me how fast it was.
                          Fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 130xxx miles SOLD

1990 Honda Civic SI
                          186k 10:1 hybrid motor
                          d16 on 10 pounds will turn ya out.

sigpic

Comment

---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Very very nice build!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                                Very very nice build!!
                                Thanks guys

Need to do a front wheel bearing and waiting for some snow to test the AWD out in, can't wait!

Although thats about the only part of winter I am looking forward to lol

www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Working...
                                X