Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 MX-3 RS... soon to have MY BP! (X to 56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry a little delayed as I had an exhaust issue... the exhaust broke right at the 60 degree elbow off the manifold.

Video as promised... not the greatest.
    Clip #1
    Clip #2

I still have a hole in the flex part under the oil pan.

I'm glad that my project inspires people... I know you guys appreciate what I've done, and how much work goes into something like that. Thanks to all!!!
    Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:41 PM.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

sounds healthy. when are you gonna go terrorize the streets?
      Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

listen to that kitten purr... oh wait THAT'S NOT A KITTEN... and it sure ain't purring

very nice work shades
        Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
        Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

Originally posted by deadly_sleeper View Post
          sounds healthy. when are you gonna go terrorize the streets?
          Haha... about 5000km from now. I'm still very nervous driving it around... had the tranny pop outta gear tonight, I literally almost **** myself like it would stain.

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by Shades View Post

Haha... about 5000km from now. I'm still very nervous driving it around... had the tranny pop outta gear tonight, I literally almost **** myself like it would stain.
            Hahahahaha. I think the 1st week or 2 driving my car with the fresh motor in I will bring a towel to wipe the sweat of my forhead and wet wipes to clean any mess that happens if something happens like you had happen. good luck. I can't see the vids till later . I have the old style pda phone not the new revolutionary iphone. So I'll take a peek later. I'm sure she's purrin though.
            Last edited by Turpro; 08-24-2007, 04:18 AM.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

NICEEE!!!! Congrats man! Glad to see she's running strong. What kind of oil are you running through it right now? For breaking in the engine, dont you have to randomly shift thru out the rpm range too? I cant remember anymore.

JACK.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Hey, I'm running 10W30 in it... just regular oil, I think Valvoline... they're all the same as long as you stick to a name brand.

For break in keep the RPM's low... I try not to rev it over 3k... not more than 4k.

Gonna change my oil at 1000km still with dino oil, and then at 4000-5000km's after that which will be synthetic. Then it's time to hit it hard... hehe!

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

nice, i've always heard you drive it like you normall do after about 500k so everything get's sealed properly at higher rpms. i'd listen to you over other people tho haha, they're just your every day mechanic. not an auto machinist!

Glad she's runnin strong though. So how long are you going to run the car n/a for until you boost it? Any progress/update on your custom exhaust manifold?

JACK.
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

No progress yet on the custom manifold... I did however get a flange from the header type exhaust manifold, I cut it off. That's to be tinkered with in the winter when I can't work on the car anymore due to the weather.

I still have some bugs to work out with the MS2 and my suspension... I guess it doesn't like the shock of being stiffer and when I hit an uneven spot in the road there is some loud clunking. I got under it while jacked up, and someone simulated the tire going up and down and I checked the things I changed (bushings) and none of them seem to be doing it. It's coming from the steering rack/sway bar area right about the rear arm mounts.

I've taken it off the road to fix it and to go to Vegas this weekend for my best friends stag... so busy, so much stress and planning and trying to fix the car... so I eliminated the car.

I'll be running the car N/A as much as I can while the weather is still good and if we can fix some of the issues... I did also noticed the whining from the timing belt which I have to make looser. Might even have to run it in a bit in the spring... don't think the good weather here is gonna hold up for long.

I'm also hoping the issue with second gear fades away since it sometimes doesn't like to go into second and grinds the gears. I replaced the bushing for the shift rod bolt and the other rod that connects from the shifter to the tranny at the tranny.

Lots to do but I guess that's to be expected.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

So any new things about your car lately?

Comment

HAHA!!!... funny you ask.

Tonight my car fuct me over... in the short version, my rear driver's side caliper broke on me and locked up the wheel.
                        Managed to jimmy it up so that I could drive on three wheel brakes, back to the boneyard where I built the car.

I'll take some pictures on the weekend on how to do this... ****, is it ever funny.

Other than that, the car is running fine... Megasquirt takes some getting use to. Lotsa tuning required... if I was to do this again, I'd break the engine in on the stock computer.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

that sucks to hear man! well at least is a caliper and not something worst yeah we need pics!

Comment

Buddys Rx7 Front caliper snapped on him one day doing a 180, And he was so scared! then he jimmy rigged it till he got to my house 10mins away to fix.. Turns out a bolt came loook so everytime he hit the breaks it would catch on the rim.. breakin calipers sucks

Comment

where did you get the mazda speed struts and how much did they cost

Comment

they used to be sold on corksport.com but they dont sell htem anymore.. i dont remember the exact pricing something like 150 each? not sure

Comment

Working...
                                X