Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 MX-3 RS... soon to have MY BP! (X to 56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a very well laid out build. Love the fact that your raising th C/R with plans of turboing, I've always wanted to build a motor like that.

And I like the wheels
    1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
    Plus new
    1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

I like the Axis Maglites.. i used to want them for my CRX but I don't think they'd look too good on my 1st gen. They look good on the MX3 though!
      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
      '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
      '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
      '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

I've got some pictures of my porting job...

PORTED

NOT PORTED

More pictures...
        Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:06 PM.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
        Member of MX-3.com
        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

very nice d00d.... damn.

Power goals?

edit ~> wow.. looked at the more pics... damn... there is a definte cleaner path for the A/F to flow through after that port job... jeez thats nice.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Thanks!

I don't know what power to expect from any of this... but I'm gonna say 150hp before turbo, and maybe 250hp after turbo... I'm looking at a Garrett GT2560 or GT2860.

But I know that if you go more bigger you get more lag... so I'm not sure.

That's not polished up, it's just ported with a burring tool... so after that I'll polish her (exhaust side) up nice so that the gas can get the hell out ASAP. For the intake side I plan to do the same, but then reglass bead the port again to create some turbulance as the fuel and air like that.

I'm still stuck on what specs to get my cams ground to... Other thread. I might go with the Bullfrog/Gude specs, if my cam grinder suggests something else.

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

you should break the 250hp mark with ease unless your running low boost or something.

Comment

damn that is clean as hell, and i think those wheels look nice as phuck

Comment

I forgot to mention those Axis Maglites are only 14lbs each and they're 17's... not too shabby. Too bad they don't make them anymore... or are not in production.

Oh yeah I found my old website I made... I should really start up a cardomain page for it.
                  Last edited by Shades; 02-13-2006, 12:11 AM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

very nice build

bty the MBSP came in both SOHC and DOHC Proteges, but never in the EGT
                    Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Damnit, I shoulda got a Protege... and I woulda saved myself $100.

Oh well onto other issues... I have to drill a hole for the turbo oil drainback in my oil pan. I've found out where the GTX and GTR have theirs tapped in...

I looked at my pan and it's about an inch thick... seems like a good place and it's above the oil level.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

welcome. thats a damn nice build up. vids better come.
                        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

U know I think I like the rims. Something about them says "X-Men" to me.
                          94 Protege DX... A work in progress.
                          Spring Tech Springs
                          Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
                          Cone Filter
                          17" Rotas
                          More to Come......

Comment

That's when I first started searching for wheels like that... when I saw X-Men, and Axis was the only manufacturer that made 4-star wheels. I had to have 'em...

As for progress... car insurance comes up next month so there won't be any purchases... but I might get my valves that I ordered a month ago. Just porting my head for now... and might get my block bored and my crank ground.]

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Does anyone know if you run a GTR intake manifold before I put on the turbo, will it run worse than the stock EGT intake manifold?

I wanna put it on cause I don't want to replace the manifold when I put on the turbo.

Oh yeah, if anyone can answer this, what fitting taps into the oil pan for the turbo oil return line? Is it a 1/2" pipe thread? I need to know what size hole to drill and tap.
                              Last edited by Shades; 02-21-2006, 09:10 AM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

From what I have heard using the GTX manifold with a NA motor seems to pull the same if not a little harder. I however, do not have dyno proof. And keep in mind that the GTR manifold is of much better design.

Comment

Working...
                                X