Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 MX-3 RS... soon to have MY BP! (X to 56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll have to make a thread and ask the people about Toga's on BP's... cause the pumps are different on them. I know that BP oil pumps are driven off the nose of the crankshaft... and if you don't prime the pumps when installing it, you're prone to dry rubbing and this will leave you in trouble.

But I do see your point and has made me think about installing it on my car.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

my oil pressure seems a little low so im going to do what bpt323 did and use spacers to increase it
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Cleanest block you will ever see... it's been glassbeaded to get off all the rust from 1992.

Bored 1mm over, ready to be finish honed to size...

Test polished valve cover...

Finish ported port...

Hydrolic cam left, solid lifter cam right... different lobe profiles, longer duration on the solid lifter one...

$14USD water pump off eBay...

You all know this bad boy...

Need some porting...

MORE PICTURES...
        Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

Got me Toga HV oil pump, SS clutch line, PEP bronze guides, and Fidanza Cam Gears.

MORE PICTURES...
          Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:09 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

did the guides come with seals already or are you going to go with the toga valve seals?

man your making me very jealous.
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
              did the guides come with seals already or are you going to go with the toga valve seals?

man your making me very jealous.
              Sorry...

No it was just bronze guides. Got them so that it doesn't wear down my valve stems, cause it's cheaper to replace the guides than the valves.

I'm gonna go with a FelPro head set... that comes with all the gaskets and seals for the head, including the valve seals. I'm not too impressed with anything that says Toga right now for this reason, click here. Also if the Toga seals are teflon, I definately hate them... I hate teflon valve seals.

Now that I have pretty much everything it's time to start the big build... still have to get a few things machined and checked out:
              • Crank balanced
              • Finish porting head
              • Polish and maybe powercoat the valve cover
              • Finish hone the block to size

I'm off to Vegas next week... I'm hoping to have to done by May!

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

yea i read that. thats fkn crazy they do that. i never really paid that much attention to mine when i got it. i just made sure it was for the big nose. (i had an extra crank seal).

where did you get the guides from and how much were they
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

I got the guides from PEP (Precision Engine Parts)... I think I paid $64US for all 16. Keep your old cast guides so that you can steal the guide clip.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

This is the only update as of today... since I'm moving out and haven't had time or money to spend, lol!

I've been sanding and polishing the crank... not just the mains and rods but the whole crank. I figure that I've also removed some weight, as well as got rid of some of the drag that was created from the casting slag. This should also let it climb the RPM ladder a lot faster... spool spool!

BEFORE

... AFTER!

Here's that fook'd up casting number that doesn't match anything in my books at work...

More pictures...
                    Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Dam this ****s coming along nicely..good job...VERY good job

Comment

looking good. man i cant wait for you to finish building it at dyno that beast.
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

I can't wait to finish the build either... all these other things like moving are getting in the way. Oh well at least I'll be moving closer to work so I'll be able to work on this beast...

Hopefully it'll be slow at work today so I can hone my block out to size... then I'll be able to paint it.

I was thinking a nice dark blue block instead of the standard black? I was gonna make it metallic blue but no one is gonna be looking that low.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

I hope you're planning on getting the crank balanced after removing metal from it.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersfan1
                              I hope you're planning on getting the crank balanced after removing metal from it.
                              Oh yeah definately without a doubt!!!

Even if I was just changing the flywheel and/or pulley I would... any weight change to the crank whether it be flywheel, pulley, rods/pistons (but not nessesary) I would have it balanced.

Why do you think that sometimes when some guys think that a lightened pulley is a bolt on horsepower... for it to work properly you have to balance the crank.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

looking great wish my bp and AWD swap was coming along as nice and as quickly as yours .... can't wait to see final
                                In the Garage
                                Black 93 MX-3 GS
                                Bp powered
                                GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                                MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Working...
                                X