Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 MX-3 RS... soon to have MY BP! (X to 56k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that motor is going to be a beast.maybe i'll send you my block to do some boring so i can get the 9:5 miata pistons i have in there.

not to thread jack but i was wondering what the best way to clean off pistons. they're used pistons and have the deposits on the top.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Turpro; 08-26-2006, 08:09 AM.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
      not to thread jack but i was wondering what the best way to clean off pistons. they're used pistons and have the deposits on the top.
      Well first you have to measure the pistons and make sure they're not collapsed, the skirts. Aso check the skirts for wear and the ring lands too. I would re-ring the pistons... but the best way to clean them is take all the rings off, cause you'll use new ones... keep the top ring and break it in half. Use the edge and scrape out the ring grooves with the edge of the ring... you want all the carbon outta there so that it doesn't sieze the rings. Get some solvent and some non-abrasive scouring pad or sheet and rub all the carbon off.

If you feel like spending a few bucks take it to your local machine shop and get them to throw it in the jet wash (it's basically a big parts washer with chemicals to break down most of the debris and carbon).

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
      Member of MX-3.com
      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades

Well first you have to measure the pistons and make sure they're not collapsed, the skirts. Aso check the skirts for wear and the ring lands too. I would re-ring the pistons... but the best way to clean them is take all the rings off, cause you'll use new ones... keep the top ring and break it in half. Use the edge and scrape out the ring grooves with the edge of the ring... you want all the carbon outta there so that it doesn't sieze the rings. Get some solvent and some non-abrasive scouring pad or sheet and rub all the carbon off.

If you feel like spending a few bucks take it to your local machine shop and get them to throw it in the jet wash (it's basically a big parts washer with chemicals to break down most of the debris and carbon).
        what about using carb cleaner? that stuff will dissolve anything from anywhere
        Originally posted by 90prtege
        have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
        Originally posted by Turpro
        Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
        CRZbrussian: that sux
        CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
        CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

Yep, that should work too... just soak it overnight.

Carb cleaner is a kind of solvent...

I'm feelin' so lazy today as I was out drinkin' last night... I should get to work and cut that damn crank scraper. ARG!

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

[COLOR="Navy"]
            Well first you have to measure the pistons and make sure they're not collapsed, the skirts.
            how do you measure them. i have limited tools
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
              how do you measure them. i have limited tools
              A micrometer.

Comment

Yeah the most acurate way would be a micrometer... cause it can read into the 10th of thousandths. Again if you are good with any machine shops, they might even do it for free as it takes no more than 2 minutes.

Oh another note, yesterday I drilled and tapped my oil pan with a 3/8's hold for the oil return for my future turbo. I also angled the hole a bit up just for the hell of it as there are lots of aftermarket tubes you can buy with a 5 degree rise. I think I'm gonna repaint it and then clear coat it. I think Plasti-kote is crap paint, and I'm gonna get a can of Dupli-color clear coat. Try to snap some pictures Monday.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Can't wait to see them.

Comment

Pics from when I said I would but didn't but now they're here... and some!

My own 5 degree hole thing...

Partially cut crank scraper...

More pictures here...

I'm not gonna use that fitting it's just the 1/2" NPT to 5/8" hose fitting I borrowed.
                    Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Dayum man.

I nominate you for EOTM(Engine of the Month).

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                        Dayum man.

I nominate you for EOTM(Engine of the Month).
                        Not EOTM. That should be EOTY(engine of the year)
                        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

lol, nice build shades... looks damn good.
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Thanks guys... I plan to put the rods in Tuesday afternoon, and then continue during the rest of the week cutting the crank scraper. Hopefully I'll have it done by the weekend... then I have to re-mill the MSBP cause it's hitting the main studs still.

Then to finish porting the head, put my tranny back together, etc... lotsa work left to do.
                            Last edited by Shades; 09-10-2006, 11:45 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Thanks guys... I plan to put the rods in Tuesday afternoon, and then continue during the rest of the week cutting the crank scraper. Hopefully I'll have it done by the weekend... then I have to re-mill the MSBP cause it's hitting the main studs still.

Then to finish porting the head, put my tranny back together, etc... lotsa work left to do.
                              I can't wait to see/hear this thing in your car and running.

Comment

Here we go again!

More pictures here...

Threw the crank scraper in after work and it needs more work... here we go 8 hour saturday. I think this things is waaay more work than it's worth, but now that have it I guess I'm gonna put it in.
                                Last edited by Turpro; 10-07-2008, 07:16 PM.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Working...
                                X