Pieces of me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a bloody awesome effort!!

I'd say what's happened there is the little split pin that holds the pinion shaft in has broken, allowing it to slide out. A rotating shaft with the force of your car behind it...well, as you can see, does wonderfull things.

This was the fix we use to solve that problem in the future

For the record, i stripped the teeth of 3rd gear in my car again yesty too...so i have a fun day ahead of removing a gearbox aswell.
    BG Astina + GTR convertion + Microtech ECU + FMIC + 3" Exhaust x 21psi boost = 12.168sec to the power of 326whp

Here's My Worklog and My YouTube Videos

Comment

did you weld that pinon shaft in place ?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

aye, indeed i see what your talking about (looking @ my spare diff)
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Yep, pinion shaft has been welded in.

So how far have you got? I'm just about to drop my box! heheh
          BG Astina + GTR convertion + Microtech ECU + FMIC + 3" Exhaust x 21psi boost = 12.168sec to the power of 326whp

Here's My Worklog and My YouTube Videos

Comment

its ready to come out, it jsut started raining & 50° with rain is not weather to work in.

Comment

see the only problem with that is, it has been my experience that whe that pin snapped, it was not because it just got old and was abused... it seemed like it happened because the side gears siezed to the shaft causing the shaft to spin and shearing off the pin. so really welding it in there just kills all posibility of repairing the damage... that is of course unless you dont catch it untill the stage in the pictures
              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

damn did it take out anything else too?
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

more pictures from today!
                  I went panning for Transmission parts.
                  Heres the Ugly.

The top & bottom gears on the pinion shaft are non-existant, the dowl pin which should hold the pinion shaft in, is also non-existant. The pinion shaft is bent & mauled.
                  SO far its safe to say this blow out was primarily Differential pinion shaft failure.
                  I have not opened the tranny yet, but im sure i'll find a large mess inside as well.

Im Now looking for a lower 5th Gear for my next transmission. If anyone has a set laying abouts do let me know.

Now for pics.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh.... the clutch is still good thank god. Th disc isn't soaked in ATF & there is minimal damage on the pressure plate. I May be rebalancing the PP im not sure yet.

So far list of parts found to be bad or need replacement:
                    Transmission
                    Turbo(bad rebuild from turbo city)
                    Slave cylinder
                    Throw out bearing (clutch release bearing)
                    New RTV gasket needed on the oil pan
                    New MBSP (possibly bent causing minor oil leakage
                    New camshaft seals

Once I can fill that list of Parts i'll be good to be back on the road.

Comment

More pictures. The tranny is disassembled now.
                      Primary & secodary shafts & gears seem fine. With the exception of possible excessive wear on the shift forks & slide rings.
                      There was no more shift gate, so its a wonder i could even find neutral.
                      5th showed minor signs of wear.
                      The gearside/5th & reverse housings were intact & perfectly fine.

The bellhousing took the major blows

more pictures.

The differential pinion shaft sheared the dowl pin & managed to bend itself. almost breaking into 3 pieces.
                      The outer pinionshaft gears ground grooves into the pinion shaft itself... Wicked & Evil
                      Attached Files

Comment

Damn. Thats not an LSD right?
                        BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                        2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

nice work man!
                          eat me

Comment

nope not an lsd.... a quaife is going in the next one. with the entire case & internals being cyro treated. i'll be running an external tranny cooler as well.

Comment

Driving your 323 on the highway and blame the trans breaks or was it a down shift?

I welded my pin the other day when I changed my clutch. Cause I also broke my other trans on my 323 same way. Its a common problem bellhousing are getting harder to find these days.

This was from another post from Feb.
                              Originally posted by TERCO
                              Most of the mazda transmissions blown due to differential pin failure no matter how much hp u got. Next time U change Ur clutch open the tranny weld the dif. pin.
                              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...t=22366&page=4

Comment

i am now wise to this mod. I've got a diff no more than 5 feet from me thats getting the pin welded. going into my next temp tranny.

Comment

Working...
                                X