Making a turbo Z5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical cam setup.

Got some more goodies this weekend though. I picked up a bp throttle body that I plan to modify to fit my car. I also got the fuel rail with injectors but I don't know how much good it will do me yet I havn't checked to see if the injectors line up. If anyone knows feel free to let me know. Won't have much time this week to work on it though I got a truck given to me to race in a mud drag competition but it needs a lot of work before sunday. Should have every thing ready to go for next week though but this time Im not starting the install until I am sure, its to much work putting it all on and then putting it back to normal when I find oil on the ground from the turbo.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Thanks mate :D i have a feeling the BP injectors might just fit the Z5 rail, i'll ask on the F forum :D:D

Intruder, the VERY last run of Z5's had a valve train like this....

as opposed to what most of us have to put up with...

:D:D:D

BA Moderator - Club323F Greetings from the UK

Comment

are you kidding me?!!!
        i would have kept the Z5 if i knew that.... wtf!
        Originally posted by andym323
        Thanks mate :D i have a feeling the BP injectors might just fit the Z5 rail, i'll ask on the F forum :D:D

Intruder, the VERY last run of Z5's had a valve train like this....

as opposed to what most of us have to put up with...

:D:D:D

Comment

Great info!

You wouldn't happen to have comparison pics of the bottom end of the two engines would you?

Also is the 323f turbo charged like I think it is?

Comment

No, it's not turbocharged.

Comment

I'll dig em out

BA Moderator - Club323F Greetings from the UK

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                are you kidding me?!!!
                i would have kept the Z5 if i knew that.... wtf!
                Bull****.
                Remember the ****ty valve springs??
                I wonder how hard it would be to convert the other cam to be run off the belt rather than the chain?
                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                  Bull****.
                  Remember the ****ty valve springs??
                  I wonder how hard it would be to convert the other cam to be run off the belt rather than the chain?
                  Well I would have had mississauga engines inspect the head to determine exactly what was wrong with the valve springs, and if they were indeed the case to recommend a more adequate spring rate.

And I would have then upgraded the head to this one...

Just the hassle of having an engine in your parents house and engine stand and engine lifts... its kind of a pain in the ass.
                  That and the cost of the engine swap and boostin... it gets pricey

But i already started so I shall keep going, and it'll be faster in the end anyways having the BP and the turbo.... i would have welcomed the challenge tho of boosting the Z5... especially cause nobody has yet to have done it sucessfully... and it wouldnt be THAT Slow

In order to convert the other cam to run off the belt rather than the chain, i guess i'd need more info on this Z5 head that apparently has 2 sprockets... thats news to me
                  Im rather interested, even tho i'll never do it anymore cause i got the bp...
                  but for other peoples sake... im interested!

Comment

Well I had my oil pan off today to reseal it and decided to look inside at the crank. I found a very good surprise, oil squirters for the pistons. I have a good feeling that our bottom end is the same as the old 1.6 turbo's. This makes me a little more confident in our engines so I think I might just raise the boost up a few pounds from what I was going to run.

Comment

Interresting!

I don't remember reading that our Z5 had oil squirters..unless I missed this. Can anyone else who's had their Z5 apart confirm this? Project Protoge, what year is your car? I wonder if all years had them?

Oh and yes please, please more info on this true DOHC Z5?!!! Andym323, I assume we're talking the very late 1998 Z5 equiped cars. I wonder how many and which models exactly had them? Worldwide or not? If only we could get an idea of which VINs these engines started appearing in...?

All of a sudden, tuning this engine becomes a legitemate possibility!
                      Maybe not for competitive reasons but at the very least for drivability. I realy have nothing to base this on but I wonder if there is any link between this valvetrain and the super Z5 that supposedly came in the Intreplay? Now I'm way of topic.

Someone should start a new thread for info on this double-sprocket Z5. Anyhow, back to the turbo Z5 thread...
                      1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun32390
                        I don't remember reading that our Z5 had oil squirters..unless I missed this. Can anyone else who's had their Z5 apart confirm this? Project Protoge, what year is your car? I wonder if all years had them?
                        I looked at the parts catalog and I found them for all Z5's. I don't see VIN restrictions on those two part numbers.

OIL JET: BP01-10-580A
                        OIL JET VALVE: SE01-10-730

It also turns out that those are the same part numbers on the BP.
                        Last edited by Intruder; 08-14-2005, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Nice!
                          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

The block is the same if not similar to the old 1.6 turbo. It has the same ribbing for extra strength and the bearings are the same as the 1.6 turbo which would suggest that the crankshaft is also the same. the main difference I have found is the higher compression pistons and the slightly smaller bore (which could be changed by boring the block). I also know that our engines have stacked metal head gaskets.

I would wonder if it would be possible to swap the head from a 1.6 turbo right over.

Comment

yeah took the valve cover off of my 98 z5 its looking the way the diagram shows.
                              proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Which diagram? Two cam sprockets or one?

Comment

Working...
                                X