No announcement yet.

ES Front Brake Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got some pictures of the 1st gen LX. the last picture is the front driver's side, unfortunately someone took the spindle off of the passenger side. the rotor and the calipers were left.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by beetle_orange; 04-14-2005, 01:21 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

can someone tell me what's needed to pull form that 1st gen rear disc brakes so i can successfully put it on the 2nd gen? saw an old thread of bruce's but the pictures were not working anymore and i just need some clarification.

Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

Just as a tip for people considering doing this swap, when you get your spindles (and you will need all 4) make sure you check the play in the wheel bearing.

To do this grab the wheel studs with one hand, and the spindle in the other hand, and push in and out. Ideally you want no play at all. If there is any, the car is going to moan when you're driving, and you are going to get inconsistent tire wear.

If you're getting a super deal on the spindles, then its still worth getting and replacing the bearing, but remember that a shop has to change the bearing for you because it is pressed in there, so its not a $20 fix... its around $100 including the bearing, per corner.

Sadly, I didnt heed the advice that I tell everyone myself... and to be proactive when it comes to brake maintainence. So I ended up till my brakes are completely dead before I actually did anything, I thought I had a set of spindles and calipers lined up for a good price however the spindles ended up having wheel bearing play in them, and I dont have the time to source new ones. So sadly, I am going to have to remain with the rear drums. I am using the ES front calipers, however I dont think there is a performance advantage there.

So I just wanted to let everyone know!

Comment

Yes, I do know i revived this one from the dead. But it was my disc swap thread which I started but never finished. Just wanted to let everyone know its still not going to be done for a while... lol

I suck.

Comment

You suck, dude.

Are you sure it's $100 per corner for new bearings?

Comment

damn, i have totally forgotten i asked that question.

pigeon, very helpful info nonetheless.

Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                You suck, dude.

Are you sure it's $100 per corner for new bearings?
                I kno i kno... lol

When I had it done at mazda 2 years ago, it was around 150 ish i think... i cant remember exactly. It was expensive tho.

Originally posted by beetle_orange
                damn, i have totally forgotten i asked that question.

pigeon, very helpful info nonetheless.
                LOL its been a year any nobody answered you... hahaha
                sorry, I didnt even know u asked it either... lol

Comment

Don't worry about it. He got it answered in another thread I believe.

Comment

yup no biggie. i have decided that if i was gonna do something like this that i would just wait and get all of it from a 95/96 ES

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                    X