No announcement yet.

ES Front Brake Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much for the oem replacement rotor for the lx 97? any estimated price? im thinking on getting just regular ones. Since ive notice PIGEON already had a experience with the two.

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

what i meant was the replacement in places like NAPA and the likes...sorry..

JDM inspired protege with super rare mazdaspeed parts.

Comment

ok, just re-reading this, i saw someone saying you needed new front spindles to do the swap, but midnightblue97, your saying i can just get a mounting peice? is this right?

Mods:
        JDM Headlights + Corners
        JDM Tailights
        1st Gen LX Black Wheels
        Shaved Side Mouldings
        Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
        Cone Filter
        KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
        E-Bay front strut bar
        Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
        40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
        and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

IIRC my rotors themselves were really cheap, like $15 or so each through Mazda Motorsports. (99 LX)
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by txmzdspd2gen
            how much for the oem replacement rotor for the lx 97? any estimated price? im thinking on getting just regular ones. Since ive notice PIGEON already had a experience with the two.
            there was a huge debate when it comes to cross drilled rotors
            its pretty much settled though that they are unnecessary

non-cross drilled are cheaper and have more structural integrity and more surface area <-- better stopping power, better cooling ability

none of the racers here in ontario use cross drilled rotors or slotted rotors, they ALL use brembo blanks (what KVR uses BEFORE they drill them)

I did do over 20 laps with my cross drilled rotors and heated my brakes up to the point of having the fluid boil on me... however didnt crack a rotor
            so I thought they were alright... however

everyone there was convinced that if I did a comparison test of the cross drilled rotors, vs the brembo blanks... that the cross drilled would crack first

and i trust their opinion because they've been racing for years and years, and that was my first time

the initial reason for cross drilled rotors was to prevent gases from the brake pads from creating a 'film' between the pad and rotor

but pads havent been made like that since the 80's, so really... they're just a trend right now

the ONLY thing that has not been answered yet, that im wondering...
            is if cross drilled and slotted rotors are useless, why do porsches and motorcycles come with them from the factory?

Originally posted by JZProwler
            ok, just re-reading this, i saw someone saying you needed new front spindles to do the swap, but midnightblue97, your saying i can just get a mounting peice? is this right?
            i may be wrong, cause now i cant remember exactly... so someone please correct me if you know for a fact that im wrong

but from what i remember, i believe that the spindle is the mounting piece... its all one big hunk of metal

i dont know suspension terminology well at all, my apologies

Comment

i was just told that the porsches and motorcycles use cross drilled rotors to reduce unsprung weight

unsprung = weight of rotors/tires/brakes

Comment

I was reading an article on light weight rims at tirerack.com and I remember something like this: Unsprung weight is generally the stuff that is not supported by the car's suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                  I was reading an article on light weight rims at tirerack.com and I remember something like this: Unsprung weight is generally the stuff that is not supported by the car's suspension.

it's the stuff that moves when the suspension moves.... all that weight, including half the weight of the spring is considered to be unsprung.

also, porsche sells them because it's "cool". there was an article by a porsche engineer confirming it.

another thing, cross-drilling does increase surface area, but it reduces mass, which cancels out the effect of more surface area.
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                    another thing, cross-drilling does increase surface area, but it reduces mass, which cancels out the effect of more surface area.
                    so reducing mass makes cooling less effective?

Comment

Originally posted by JZProwler
                      When I tried to fit mine up. I realized that I need the spindles. However, I can't speak on any adapter parts. I know nothing about them
                      B
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ok, thanks. i didnt think there could be brackets, everything ive worked with mounted straight to the spindle, but you never know right? tomorrow ill be going out and checking prices and seeing how much this may cost me if i buy new

Mods:
                        JDM Headlights + Corners
                        JDM Tailights
                        1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                        Shaved Side Mouldings
                        Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
                        Cone Filter
                        KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
                        E-Bay front strut bar
                        Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
                        40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
                        and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

is the 95-97 ES 4-bolt or 5 like the later Proteges?

i've read all this and i'm seriously considering putting 4-wheel discs on my 323, is there any reason why the same approach won't work on the BG?
                          13.66@102

Comment

You should do a search in the BG section. People have done it.
                            All 95-97 Protege's have 4-bolt wheels.

Comment

i would like to make this thread active again. i read in the first page of this thread about what bruce said. it is not enough that you find a 1st gen LX but that LX has to have a DOHC engine so that it'll have rear disc brakes. i wasnt doing a lot today and decided to stop by a local JY and to my amazement it had a black 1st gen LX and since i read about this thread a long time ago looked immediately at the rear and had rear disc brakes and the vaunted BP DOHC engine.

if it is not too much to ask. can someone pls just list the parts i need to take from the 1st gen to make this swap work on our 2nd gen.

btw, if i do go ahead with this i will also get the front spindles, caliper, and rotor of the 1st gen.

i hope this thread could be a sticky as well.
                              Last edited by beetle_orange; 04-13-2005, 11:55 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                              Mods:
                              DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

whoa . . . i was just looking at this thread last night. anywho, i think bruce mentioned all the parts you'll need earlier, so i don't think you'll need anything in addition to the stuff you mentioned, although new pads might be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X