My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
    Getting them at parts source Belleville. They should be in Thursday.
    If u ever need a hand let me know even if its just runnin parts to u

Comment

^^Thanks man. I could use a hand getting my plugs and suspension in.

Originally posted by 91mcnasty View Post
      keep up the good work!!!
      Originally posted by Damkid View Post
      ^^x2!! You've done more with that car then I think I would have been able to, it sounds like a bit more tweaking and you'll have it up to 100%
      Thanks for the support guys, I won't let you down.
      Last edited by DuRWooD; 02-01-2012, 08:16 PM.
      sigpic
      1992 Familia GT-X
      1988 323 GTX
      2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Made a successful 350km round trip to Toronto to pick up my struts today. Averaged 9.1 l/100 km (25 US mpg) not too shabby considering the huge traffic jam I got into. During the traffic jam I saw member tym2pla7, he can confirm the car actually works, although we were going slow enough that we rolled down windows and said hey. lol.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

small world!

I may look into this swap down the road, I have had my eye on some Protege 5's for quite some time.
          2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
          1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

awesome man!! glad to hear she's doing ok. Have you fixed the intermediate shaft issue yet? lol
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
              awesome man!! glad to hear she's doing ok. Have you fixed the intermediate shaft issue yet? lol
              It's got one bolt in it, I've been checking it periodically, and it's not coming loose or anything. I'll change it eventually, probably in the summer when I change the transmission oil.

My biggest concern is the can of worms hooking up the trans computer does, I don't know how to get rid of traction control DTC codes, and I'll fail emissions with any code.
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

talk to "the pile"
                he knows a guy who can do a wiring conversion that eliminates the CEL codes (even the trans ones) for when the KL guys do a MAF conversion from the milly's
                That might proove very usefull
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

scott just know what Mr jason has posted up on that thread i linked to on PT. so just go to the link and read it yourself. cause all scott is going to do is give you that link again. lmao
                  ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                  ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                  What are you driving?

Comment

i see......
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yeah, I've read all that, and while everything in there about the codes applies to my conversion too, there is more to it. The Millennia S has a separate transmission computer with a lot more functions and a lot more OBDII codes. It throws a code if it detects any of the transmission's gear ratios are off. All of the codes fail emissions, most of them limit engine power.

I did a lot of research yesterday, and I'm thinking this won't pass an e test without an automatic transmission, and the traction control and ABS systems hooked up and functional.

I may have found a loop hole that could keep it on the road until 2015 however.
                      sigpic
                      1992 Familia GT-X
                      1988 323 GTX
                      2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I went to go wire in the trans computer last night, and I was a bit confused at first, as none of the wires seemed to correspond to my wiring diagram. I then realized I don't have the transmission computer I thought I had, it's the damn ABS/TCS control module.

I don't really think it will work though, as there is a lot of protection circuitry built in as to not blow the engine.

I was comparing the KJ wiring diagrams to the OBDII millennia KL wiring, and thinking I should be able to control the engine with a KL pcm, and a piggyback. There's quite a few differences, as the KL pcm controls the transmission, but it doesn't look too difficult, and there is less protection built in. From what I've read on Probetalk about that pcm though, there is no real rev limiter, and the KJ would probably die quickly if I over revved it.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Familia GT-X
                        1988 323 GTX
                        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

ive LOVED my KL since swapping to the Maf conversion. if you can get away with using that set up. id def give it a try.
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

Some parts arrived. Spent about as much as coilovers would have cost...

sigpic
                            1992 Familia GT-X
                            1988 323 GTX
                            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

what is all that? love all the mazda parts bags tho..

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
                              1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

New Mazdaspeed strut mounts, spring pads and sway bar links. Came to $460 with my discount + Tokico blues and springs, that's the cost of coilovers. Oh well, this setup should ride fairly well.

Edit: Also found out Mazda just raised all their part prices ~10%
                                Last edited by DuRWooD; 02-09-2012, 03:55 PM.
                                sigpic
                                1992 Familia GT-X
                                1988 323 GTX
                                2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X