No announcement yet.

My 2002 KLZE Protege 5, kl to kj swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you register the vehicle to an address in certain regions of ontario you do not need an e-test period.

PM brian (mp5t) on toprotege.com about how to get it done as he mentioned it in a thread not too long agoand could probably give you better advice than myself.

S197 Mustang GT Convertible The New DD. (Ford Racing 3.73/JLT CAI/SCT SF3 Tuner/Ford Racing Exhaust)
    2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Maximus Tractionous Wifeymobilious
    Previous ~ 235whp 1.8 BP Powered 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege ~ - Sold

Comment

if you got the speed mounts for the back, then u might have issues with it being lower in the back than the front

Comment

Originally posted by vtec-this View Post
        if you register the vehicle to an address in certain regions of ontario you do not need an e-test period.

PM brian (mp5t) on toprotege.com about how to get it done as he mentioned it in a thread not too long agoand could probably give you better advice than myself.
        Looking into that, trying to avoid it though.

Originally posted by viper_707 View Post
        if you got the speed mounts for the back, then u might have issues with it being lower in the back than the front
        My mistake, I had my shopping list written down with part numbers, all I had written was MSP front mounts, then "rears" underneath. I just verified they are in fact rear P5 mounts.
        sigpic
        1992 Familia GT-X
        1988 323 GTX
        2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
        2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
          New Mazdaspeed strut mounts, spring pads and sway bar links. Came to $460 with my discount + Tokico blues and springs, that's the cost of coilovers. Oh well, this setup should ride fairly well.

Edit: Also found out Mazda just raised all their part prices ~10%
          if you were closer to me i could have got you the parts at cost plus 10
          91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Got the struts all in today. Man, what a difference. This car handles well! I'm much more driven to get the engine working 100% now. It's such a nice driving car.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Small update:

I'm probably going a new direction with this car. I can't get rid of the CEL for the transmission, as it's tied into everything (abs, TCS, even gear ratios have to be correct), that alone wouldn't be a huge deal, as I can run a KLG4 ECU to get through emissions. The engine is burning oil like crazy, I think the supercharger is toast. The clutch is slipping again as well.

I'm now actively shopping for a KLG4 626 parts car, and will swap that in. Boost? Likely.

I'll get a video of the P5 tearing it up with the KJ before I pull it.

I'd someone wants to donate a supercharger, I'll gladly keep the KJ in.

Edit: Swap in the auto trans you say? Considered it, was then set on doing it 100%, then realized the KJ has a different transmission, with a different axle spine count than the KL. I'm not making custom axles. Use the KL trans internals? Gear ratios are different, that would throw a CEL, and put the car into limp mode.
              Last edited by DuRWooD; 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM.
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

You sure you can't go standalone? MS would iron out all those issues real quick, minus the oil burning. Millenia chargers are cheap on eBay

What if you swapped to a KL ECU + KL cams (is that possible?) to bring it to Otto cycle function
                1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                www.werbatfik.com

Comment

The possibility of KL heads has been debated, no one I know of has given it too much effort. They do bolt onto the block, I'm 100% sure of that. The cams alone wont work, as the rear head spins backwards, as the cam pulley is on the rear most cam for supercharger clearance.

I'd already be running MS if it was an OBDI vehicle. I need a functioning OBDII system for emissions.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

its very unlikely its the supercharger which is your cause of massive oil issues. the motor itself is probably shot.
                    PS the roots rotors in the supercharger are made of some sort of wood........
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Those SC's have ****ty ass oil seals and blow all the time... its the reason 95% of the KJ's are in the yards

1992 MX-3 GS - KLZE
                      1997 Probe GT

Its not a BP05.... Its a BPOS... BIG PIECE OF ****

Comment

Dude that totally blows, sorry to hear about the SC

Back when I started the swap, my boss told me he has a few of those SC's kickin around that are good, I can ask him again about them if you want?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Yeah, let me know. I'm going to take it apart this weekend. It could just be the valve stem seals, as it's worst on cold start. I'm having to add a liter of oil every fill up though.
                          sigpic
                          1992 Familia GT-X
                          1988 323 GTX
                          2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                            its very unlikely its the supercharger which is your cause of massive oil issues. the motor itself is probably shot.
                            PS the roots rotors in the supercharger are made of some sort of wood........
                            The IHI s/c seals are notorious for going out. They get pretty bad if left to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxejOXWmE4 they use engine oil like a turbo so they will constantly leak and not just run dry.

Also, it's a twin screw, not a roots type, and the rotors are machined aluminum with a teflon coating, not wood. ಠ_ಠ
                            1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                            1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                            www.werbatfik.com

Comment

The rotors do look a lot like wood when old and pitted though.

I just made an offer in a 626 donor, and I should hear back soon..
                              sigpic
                              1992 Familia GT-X
                              1988 323 GTX
                              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Talked to my boss and long story short, I guess he used to work at a Mazda dealer when millenia's were new and a bunch came in with vibration issues, the dealer decided to replace the SC's only to find out it was just the pulleys causing the vibrations, so my boss scooped up all these near new SC's and has had them ever since but selling the odd one here and there

At one time he told me $300 for a SC, but when I asked him today he said like $6-700, he's very in-decisive and you could probably get one for like $4-500, if you still wanted to go that route, I can pm you my work number so you can talk with him directly

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                                X