No announcement yet.

Sub Box Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well since I don't feel like sending another pm to Blue I'll put the question here. I was checking rtboxes.com like you recommended and I found another box I need your guys opinion on. I can't link directly to it on the site but go to here and check out the OBCOM Dual 12" Bandpass box. The model number is PBP-12.2i. Let's here some opinions.

Comment

yay blue suggested to copy my layout... im a friggin genious! lol ok sorry.. that is a pretty awsome Idea blue with the 2 invert and the center not..... just fiberglass the bottom of the wheelwell and stick a rim there and let everything flow in.. that would be sick.... damn I could only imagine the sanding on that bitch lol...

Comment

I don't have the time or money for that project. But I won't completely disregard it, I bet I could make some time in the summer for a project like that.

Comment

prefab bandpass boxes suck major ass they might look cool, and get loud for a narrow band of freq's, but other than that, they suck. check out RT's 3300 series triple sub sealed enclosure. or the euro MDF "T" series triple 12 sealed enclosure. if you are going with a dual 12 setup, then get any of their sealed setups or call them up and find out which of their ported setups is tuned under 35 hz. just please don't go with bandpass prefab.

Comment

Alright Blue next question. Would I really be able to tell a big difference between two twelves or two tens. Because I remember you saying that one box was on sale. And would you recommend the gz box for two 10" subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
              Alright Blue next question. Would I really be able to tell a big difference between two twelves or two tens. Because I remember you saying that one box was on sale. And would you recommend the gz box for two 10" subs.

there is a noticable difference between two 10's and two 12's. but in theory it would only be about 1 dB. and the GZ box for two 10's would be pretty sweet i had my old boss buy a single GZ 10 box, with an obcon 10 in it, running off like 150 watts in his P5, and it was too much for him now he's got a single 8

Comment

I don't guess you happen to know the measurements for the gz box do you? I emailed rt to find out. Also lets say theoretically I ordered the gz box since the magnets will be mounted outside the box about how much more width do I need to count on. Because it could be a tight fit.

Comment

I don't guess you happen to know the measurements for the gz box do you? I emailed rt to find out. Also lets say theoretically I ordered the gz box since the magnets will be mounted outside the box about how much more width do I need to count on. Because it could be a tight fit.

with the GZ box, you won't need to invert the subs, cause it's already a large ported box, and inverting them would change the tuning the fastest and best way to get info from them is to call them, if you can. i called and got some info from them a while back, and they were very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                    with the GZ box, you won't need to invert the subs, cause it's already a large ported box, and inverting them would change the tuning the fastest and best way to get info from them is to call them, if you can. i called and got some info from them a while back, and they were very helpful.
                    Alright, ready for your next question? So with the gz box the subs are completely inside the box? I don't have too good of an idea as to how ported boxes are setup.

Comment

Alright, ready for your next question? So with the gz box the subs are completely inside the box? I don't have too good of an idea as to how ported boxes are setup.

the rear of the sub is completely in the box, but the front is still on the outside.

Comment

Alright I'm getting closer to deciding on everything. The last decision has come down to the box. I am trying to decide whether it would be worth $375 to get the Godzilla box that holds 2 12" subs. Whatcha think blue?

Comment

I just went and took measurements of my trunk to see if the GZ box could even be contained in the Protege. It can, but it would be a tight fit. I marked it off and then placed the amp in there. Well there goes my original plan of placing it angled, they are going to have to be placed horizontally.

Comment

Alright I'm getting closer to deciding on everything. The last decision has come down to the box. I am trying to decide whether it would be worth $375 to get the Godzilla box that holds 2 12" subs. Whatcha think blue?

screw the $375 on the dual 12's, get a set of sweet 10's and get the 10" version that is only $135 on r/t's site http://www.rtboxes.com/en-us/p_51.html
                            that's a direct link, but to purchase i'd either call them up, or go through your link above, click on "shop our site", then obcon, and the very last one is the dual GZ 10.2 box it says dual bandpass, but it's not. it's a ported box. weighs in at 95 lbs, has 3/4" lexan front window for showing off your subs not to mention it's a sweet looking box and very well built. i couldn't believe that my old boss got the single one for $100, and when it came in, i inspected it, and i was thoroughly impressed by the quality of it. it is definitely designed and built to take a beating. when it comes it, your jaw will drop i wish they put the specs of the box on their site, though. but it should fit in between your wheel wells just fine, with a sub on each end. you'll want a couple inches of clearance to do that, though.

some thoughts i had for installing it. it will sound better if it's further back in your trunk. also putting it further back will give it more air space at the ends cause you've got that space behind the wheel wells. but if you put it all the way to the back, with the plexi facing back, you will be covering the bottom edge of the plexi with the back end of the trunk. i was thinking that it'd look pretty cool if you can angle the box, so the back side with the plexi is angled up so the bottom is flush with the back edge of the trunk opening. that isn't too hard to do, and can be done with 2x4's. this will allow you to open your trunk, and someone will not have to bend down to see into the sub box, it's angled perfectly for them to see. you'll definitely want some cold cathodes in the box, too. how often do you see a box like that angled like that? i think it'd be cool. then hopefully there's enough room on the front side of your trunk to put your spare rim. mount the amps on the top of the box, then put your spare rim on the front side of the trunk, and put some cold cathodes under the rim, too, so it glows also. the only concern with mounting the box and rim like that is the top edge of the box and the depth of the trunk. if the top edge of the box is too high, the trunk won't close. but it doesn't look like you'll have a problem with that. depth of the trunk on the other hand is going to be questionable. the only way to know is to try it.
                            option 2 for mounting it, is to have the box all the way to the back of the trunk, and have the plexi facing up. it won't be too tall for the trunk lid to close, and that will give you more depth in your trunk for the spare rim.

for option 1 you can mount the amps on angle facing into the car on top. for option 2 you can mount them on either the side facing out when you open the trunk, or the opposite side facing into the car.

for all your lighting needs.

Comment

Alright then 10" subs it is. Yeah that is too good of a deal to pass up. I think I will go ahead and place my order. I will just have to play around with mounting everything until I find the way I like.

Comment

Alright then 10" subs it is. Yeah that is too good of a deal to pass up. I think I will go ahead and place my order. I will just have to play around with mounting everything until I find the way I like.

pictures, lots and lots of pictures

ya know something i just thought of, why not use LED's for the lighting? with the spare rim you can mount a few of the under it, and they'll be easier to hide than a cathode tube, or neon. and in the box you can put them almost anywhere, you'll just have to hide the wires. and good thing about LED's is that they draw almost no current. too bad the blue LED's cost more
                                one of these in each chamber of the box. and the single flat top wide angle LED's for under the rim.

Comment

Working...
                                X