No announcement yet.

Sub Box Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a 600w two channel amp that might be usable, but I think it is blown from constantly overheating. My speakers can handle a good bit of bass, they are the Polk EX3 component sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
      I've got a 600w two channel amp that might be usable, but I think it is blown from constantly overheating. My speakers can handle a good bit of bass, they are the Polk EX3 component sets.

there ya go what is the model # for your california amp? you might want to mount it under one of the front seats, so it doesn't detract from the bling in the trunk you'll have to pull the 4 guage that's already installed from the trunk and cut it off near the seat, so you don't have a ton of excess. my first amp was actually a california amp. pretty damn good for the money. i'm guessing you have the CA800, which will put out 200x2 at 4 ohms for your components. if you've got the CA600 then it's 150x2. either way you'll want to have the high pass x-over set above or around 100 hz, so you don't damage your components from too low of a freq and over extending them.

Comment

I'll see if I can get it to work. It stop working before I pulled the old system out. If it is messed up, I will just take it to the local audio video shop and see if they can repair it. I am still looking over all the wiring and I'll give you a link to it all before I place the order.

Comment

yay another thread like at pclub that is gonna be 200 pages long lol weee

Comment

That's what happens when you get one person who knows very little to nothing about the wiring of a car stereo (myself) having a detailed conversation with a person who knows way too much (blue). Were getting there though.

Comment

lol i concur blue knows too much.

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                lol i concur blue knows too much.

lol, it's just that you know too little

i don't care how long it takes, as long as i can help someone not make the same mistakes i've made and mistakes i've seen. get it done right the first time

Comment

Sorry, I don't mean to be getting too much off topic, but what's a 1/0 cable?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                    1/0 is the gauge of the cable (very fat)

Comment

i dont know too little... i know just enough to arouse me

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion

it's big power cable. start with what you know, say 8 guage and 4 guage. the smaller the # the larger the cable. it goes down to 2 and 0 guage. then to increase the size it goes into the 1/0, 2/0, etc. and the larger the top # the larger the cable. and it's pronounced one aught.

1/0 cable on the right, and 8 guage knukonceptz speaker wire on the left.

from left to right:
                        8 guage speaker wire, 1/0 red, 1/0 black, 4 guage black, ring terminals, 4 guage red.

Comment

^^^ very informative

Comment

The box came in today. I think Obcon was trying to give me a hernia today. They delivered the box to the neighbor below me, so I had the carry the 100lb box up the damn street.

Comment

Got everything mounted. I got a couple of more wiring questions for you blue. What wires do I need to hook up the sub to the piece in the back of the box. And it looks like I might need to use rca cables to hook up the amp to that piece. I was also considering putting in a neon tube in the vent of the box.

Comment

first off, dude, you better get help to lift that into your car it's looking pretty sweet, too
                                as for hooking up wires to the terminals on the box, you can either solder them, or get some terminals. i learned today that thick speaker cable does absolutely nothing i wish i had known that before getting 8 guage for my brahma 16 guage is fine for 1,000 watts, and there isn't much need for over 14 guage unless 3,000 watts is running through it. i'll probably use 12 guage just to be on the safe side, though. the way the AC coming out of the amp to the sub works allows for a much smaller size wire than the ones coming as DC into the amp. so for your amps, you only need 16 guage
                                as for a neon, get cold cathodes. they are cheap, thinner, and are brighter, from what i've heard

Comment

Working...
                                X