No announcement yet.

Sub Box Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my bad, i'm getting sick, so i didn't really think too much about the wiring question. use the 16 guage speaker wire to connect the sub to the terminals on the amp either with solder or slide on connectors. as for the outside, if they look like RCA's, they are either banana plugs or screw down terminals. got pics? have you tried unscrewing them? if it has flat edges it's probably screw down.

Comment

Alright got some pics. My 2MP camera couldn't get any decent ones, but luckily my mom just got a 4MP Canon Powershot S400, it's sweet as hell. But thats beside the point.

This is the back of the box.

This is the connection to the Alpine sub. It has another set of these on the other side.

This is the connection inside the box.

And the connections on the amp.

Now what I want to know is what kind of wire I run to each of these.
      Last edited by McCorkle; 01-16-2004, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Also about how long does it take for them to ship everything?

Comment

you only need 16 guage wire for your subs, so get this for $.20 per foot. you are going to need enought to go from the amp to the terminals on the box, and from the inside of the terminals on the box to the subs, with enough slack to plug in the sub while it's out of the box. you might as well order more of the speaker wire for running from your other amp to your front components.

the terminals on the box look like they are screw down, so see about unscrewing them. there should be a hole in the threaded shaft for you to insert the stripped wire in, and then retighten the top.

for attatching the speaker wires to the amps, you don't need spade terminals, since you can just insert the stripped wire into the holes and tighten.

something i forgot to check, did you ordered the SWR-1221D? the dual 2 ohm, so they can be wired to 4 ohm mono load for the amps? or did you get the dual 4 ohm model, so the amp sees an 8 ohm load? with the dual 2 ohm you amps will be putting out 800 watts to each sub. with the dual 4 ohm your amps will be giving an 8 ohm load, and the amps will be delivering 400 watts to each sub.

either way you'll need to run the voice coils in a series configuration. you'll need one of these for each of the positive terminal inside the box. so you'll need 2 total. you'll also need 2 of these for the negative terminals. connect the speaker wire to the quick connects and slide them on the terminals inside the box. make sure they have a snug fit, otherwise take them out and crimp them down a little. run the positive speaker wire to one of the positive terminals on the sub. then run a small piece of speaker wire from the negative terminal that is next to the positive terminal you just hooked up to the other side and connect it to the positive speaker terminal. then hook up the negative speaker wire coming from the terminal on the box to the open negative terminal that is next to the positive terminal that is hooked to the other VC's negative terminal. damn, that even sounds confusing to me

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
            Also about how long does it take for them to ship everything?

through knukonceptz they usually process and ship the stuff by the next day or the day after. i've always gotten my stuff in about a week, sometimes less, depending on when the order was placed.

Comment

Alright like always it is going to take me a little while to comprehend all that info. I did get the 1021D model, so I can run the dual 2 ohms into the 4 ohm mono load. Although you had me pissed for a second because I thought I accidentaly ordered the dual 4 ohm. I'll try to get the wiring ordered soon. I figured I wouldn't be putting it in until atleast mid next week anyways because the new hu is arriving on Monday. Hopefully I'll have sometime over the weekend to get it finished.

I was thinking about the Profile amp and I can easily get away with mounting it to the back side of the box. And BTW I am liking the new signature.
              Last edited by McCorkle; 01-17-2004, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Alright I've got it all figured out once everything reaches the trunk. Now what I need to know is: which kind of wire to use for the remote turn on, and how I am supposed to connect it to 2 amps. I know what kind of RCA cables to use when I have to split them. But I need a link to the RCA cable to use that runs from the hu. I think that is all I need to know now....hopefully.

Do I actually need a positive and negative one of these.
                Last edited by McCorkle; 01-17-2004, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Do I actually need a positive and negative one of these.
                  http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.asp?product_id=BT104N

yeah, you'll need the positive and negative one. you need to upgrade your ground from the battery to the chassis, so you'll need a new terminal, so you might as well get matching ones

being that you got the dual 2 ohm model, you'll have to be careful when you adjust the gains and subsonic filter. 800 watts is fine to run to each sub, but you gotta be careful with it.

mounting the profile amp to the other side of the box will work fine. just get enough speaker wire to run it to the front speakers that way you also won't have to worry about moving that 4 guage cable you already have run for it.

being that you need to turn on 3 amps, it's highly advisable to use a relay to turn them on. here's a relay for $1. here's a socket for the relay for $1.50.

you can get free wiring instructions when you order the relay. pin 85 needs to be hooked to 12 volt pos. pin 87 needs to be grounded. pin 86 needs to be connected to the remote turn on wire already going to your california amp. then connect 3 wires to pin 30, and run them to each amp.

Comment

Alright here is what my shopping cart is looking like. Just double check it for me just in case I got something wrong. The last thing I need to know is which kind of wire to use for the remote turn on. And how is the best way to run it to two amps. I was thinking of just splicing it into two wires off the main one and doing it that way.

product unit price qty price action
                    Kolossus Kable 1/0 Black/Silver Power Wire
                    $2.25 $47.25

Kolossus Kable 4 Gauge Blue Power Wire
                    $0.99 $3.96

Kolossus Kable 4 Gauge Silver Power Wire
                    $0.99 $7.92

Gold Plated 4 Gauge Crimp Ring Terminal 5/16 Black
                    $0.99 $1.98

Negative Battery Terminal
                    $12.00 $12.00

Positive Battery Terminal
                    $12.00 $12.00

Kolossus Kable 1/0 Silver Power Wire
                    $2.25 $2.25

In-Line Waterproof ANL Fuse Holder
                    $20.00 $20.00

Klassic Konnectz Y Adapter 1F2M RCA Kable
                    $2.25 $4.50

Gold Plated 1/0 Gg. Crimp Ring Terminal 5/16 Black
                    $1.75 $1.75

Gold Plated 4 Gauge Crimp Ring Terminal 5/16 Red
                    $0.79 $0.79

Digital ANL Fuse Distribution Block w/ Fuses
                    60A
                    60A
                    $39.99 $39.99

Klear Kable Blue 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
                    $0.20 $2.40

1/4" Female Quick Disconnects for 14/16AWG-Red
                    $0.35 $0.70

1/4" Female Quick Disconnects for 14/16AWG-Black
                    $0.35 $0.70

Recalculate Order

Sub Total: $158.19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

alright, looks like you are on the right track for the most part.

the second item, 4 foot of 4 guage blue power cable. what is that for? i'm assuming from going from the distibution block the each amp. why not get the black and silver to match the main 1/0 power cable? keep things flowing right. this 4 gauge would look better with the main power cable.

everything else looks good, except the speaker wire. do you think that 12 feet will be enough to run to the front speakers too? or are you planning on just using it for the subs?

you also don't have a set of RCA's on there. you'll need a 2 channel for your sub amps and you'll need a 2 channel for the profile amp. this should be long enough and match the Y-adapters.

here's the remote turn on wire. you might be able to just splice the one that's already there, but it's advisable that if you are using the remote turn on from the HU to turn on more than 2 items to use a relay. if you choose not to, that's on you. i've seen it work fine.
                      Last edited by blue LEDz; 01-18-2004, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Okay that's right I did forget to order the speaker wire for the components. The blue was for the amps from the block but I guess I could go with the link.

I still need to know what to use for the remote turn on. I am almost positive it is just a 4 gauge wire but I need some advice on how to get it to both amps.

Comment

Okay that's right I did forget to order the speaker wire for the components. The blue was for the amps from the block but I guess I could go with the link.

I still need to know what to use for the remote turn on. I am almost positive it is just a 4 gauge wire but I need some advice on how to get it to both amps.

sorry, i edited in the remote turn on wire into my last post the same time you were posting this it is definitely NOT 4 guage cable. the 4 guage you have in there now is the 12V positive. the small blue wire is the remote turn on.

Comment

sweet jesus.... gettin enough wires lol.... this is why I go the easy way and just buy amp kits, so I dont forget anything... and hte store I go to has people all the time come in and buy multiple amp kits at a time so they now what they do so its not such a huge expense is they make their own kits with stinger pro materials.... so basically for 3 amps it costs ~150-170 for everything.... its about hte only good thing that I like about that store, everything else rapes you about their prices...

Comment

Alright got my order placed today. Now the hard part is finding the time to install all this stuff. Believe it or not I really don't have many install questions, luckily one of my friends is excellent with wiring systems.

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                                sweet jesus.... gettin enough wires lol.... this is why I go the easy way and just buy amp kits, so I dont forget anything... and hte store I go to has people all the time come in and buy multiple amp kits at a time so they now what they do so its not such a huge expense is they make their own kits with stinger pro materials.... so basically for 3 amps it costs ~150-170 for everything.... its about hte only good thing that I like about that store, everything else rapes you about their prices...
                                dood, go check out Alpine's new Head Units

Comment

Working...
                                X