No announcement yet.

Gtx ECU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran my car on the GTX ECU with no TPS and no knock sensor - Im actually on my 3rd flavor of GTX ECUs now. The car runs fine, you will notice slightly worse gas mileage without the TPS. I doubt the stumbling you notice is due to the TPS. It might be spark plugs other fuel issues etc.

After putting in the knock sensor and 4-wire TPS, the car responded a little quicker but there wasn't a huge increase in peformance I could feel with my butt dyno.

The GTX ECU has less timing advance than the NA one and will result in less power but more safety for bigger boost. I only ran my NA ECU with 10psi of boost and ran my latest ECU up to 18psi (although I dont keep at that normally since the turbo is not big enough)

In other words, you can plug in your GTX ECU in your NA 1.8 harness and be happy with it as long as you have GTX injectors.

Comment

I'm running the GTX engine.

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever
      non driveability i mean, it drives just fine... like a factory car, i never have any no start issues, any idle issues nothing, there is still some tuning (unsure if its a mechanical motor issue or a fuel issue, with the whole missing thing... but its not the ecu for sure, it drove great when installed the misfire thing only started recently and is completely unrelated)

i got the wire harness from a dude trying to sell it on the forum FOREVER he wanted like 500cad or something and i ended up getting it for 215cad shipped! i would not worry about a jdm wire harness unless you run the gtx, if you are just running a bpt just run the usdm harness. because there are some connectors in different locations on each setup.

the car drives great with it i cannot complain, its fun getting my car out on the dry roads (like the first day in over a month litterally) and being able to burn up second bouncing off the rev limiter with a quick shift from first a far cry from my struggling to bounce off the rev limiter in first with a dump of the clutch with my revs up without the turbo

just plug it in, advance your timing a tad to make up for the "limp mode" that the ecu is in without the knock sensor, and your golden.

i will say this though i have had 0 motor issues and my cousin whom i sold one of my turbo setups to has blown up 2 motors on his na ecu, given they were more driver error than specifically the ecu (timing WAY too advanced) then he just rebuilt the motor without a machine shop involved and something about mating parts from 2 old motors that were sitting on the side of my house for a year without replacing bearings or any recurfacing of bearing surfaces, the second motor was doomed from the start.

Comment

Thanks LEX! Will my gas mileage improve. I get 150 miles on a full tank, right now.

Originally posted by Lex
        I ran my car on the GTX ECU with no TPS and no knock sensor - Im actually on my 3rd flavor of GTX ECUs now. The car runs fine, you will notice slightly worse gas mileage without the TPS. I doubt the stumbling you notice is due to the TPS. It might be spark plugs other fuel issues etc.

After putting in the knock sensor and 4-wire TPS, the car responded a little quicker but there wasn't a huge increase in peformance I could feel with my butt dyno.

The GTX ECU has less timing advance than the NA one and will result in less power but more safety for bigger boost. I only ran my NA ECU with 10psi of boost and ran my latest ECU up to 18psi (although I dont keep at that normally since the turbo is not big enough)

In other words, you can plug in your GTX ECU in your NA 1.8 harness and be happy with it as long as you have GTX injectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz360
          Thanks LEX! Will my gas mileage improve. I get 150 miles on a full tank, right now.
          Wow, maybe I don't want to go turbo because I can get 350 to 400 per tank
          2005 Mazda 3

Comment

The bad gas mileage is because of the NA ecu running the injectors wide open. I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Silentbob343
            Wow, maybe I don't want to go turbo because I can get 350 to 400 per tank

Comment

the NA ECU will think you have 230ccs in there and you actually have injectors that are much larger causing it to run too rich at part throttle and idle resulting in bad fuel economy. Truthfully, if you drive the piss out of the car, you will get poor mileage with the GTX ECU as well. If you're economical in your driving, you will get similar fuel consumption as NA (especially on the hwy - in the city its a lot harder)

Comment

How can get better gass mileage? Get the gtx harness?

Originally posted by Lex
                the NA ECU will think you have 230ccs in there and you actually have injectors that are much larger causing it to run too rich at part throttle and idle resulting in bad fuel economy. Truthfully, if you drive the piss out of the car, you will get poor mileage with the GTX ECU as well. If you're economical in your driving, you will get similar fuel consumption as NA (especially on the hwy - in the city its a lot harder)

Comment

Drive slowly and get the GTX harness or wire in a 4-wire TPS. You won't notice a big difference with the TPS in there though.

Comment

probably get a standalone system or a megasquirt system

Comment

I can't find the GTX harness to save my life. Corksport want like 750 for one if I'm not mistaking. So in stock form the gtx gets crappy gas mileage?

Originally posted by Lex
                      Drive slowly and get the GTX harness or wire in a 4-wire TPS. You won't notice a big difference with the TPS in there though.

Comment

I thought about going standalone, but it coast to much. And I just want to run the motor as stock as possible, besides the FMIC and larger exhaust. I don't wanna go standalone until I'm sure that I'm going to bigger turbo etc....

Originally posted by whistler
                        probably get a standalone system or a megasquirt system

Comment

Like I said, if you drive it hard it will cost you.

Comment

I get 38mpg highway and 25 city with my setup.
                            BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                            2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
                              I get 38mpg highway and 25 city with my setup.
                              That only cuz you drive like a granny

j/k - i get less gas mileage than you w/ an N/A BP than you do turbo...but i drive like an ass goin up 695
                              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

i MIGHT be willing to sell my jdm harness... i deff have to sleep on it but, im newly engaged and would like to get the ring paid off, and honestly the whole getting married thing has kinda put all my projects on the back burner, i mean im already turbo i dont feel like making the time to drop a new motor/trans/harness in when i already get boost

id have to think of what id let it go for and to make it clear it is NOT forsale right now im contemplating selling it. i can say this i would be asking more than i paid considerably less than cs wants but it still would have to be a price that i just could not say no.
                                There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
                                X