Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

z5 turbo finished.. some problems i need opinions on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin said with the 5 pound setup, its about a 55hp gain.. he's completed many turbo setups, so i'm sure he's close on his estimate.. but i won't know the truth till its dyno'd

sound is awesome.. i have an automatic, and when you punch the gas.. then let off, the BOV is sweet.. plus the suckin sound of the CAI helps too.. you can't get enough of the sound..
    98 Protege SE
    -------------------
    1.5L Turbo

Comment

are u planning on an IC in the future
      i is dumb

Comment

yeah.. i'm gonna get a FMIC as soon as i get the stage1 dyno'd. with all the changes my car is going thru right now.. I took on too many projects at once.. the FMIC likely won't get done for a year...
        98 Protege SE
        -------------------
        1.5L Turbo

Comment

Did Kevin at ES let you know about the problems you mentioned before he gave you back your car? Couldn't he also have some insight on what your problems may be?

I dunno .. it might not even be worth it trying to track him down though.
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

he didn't know the problem's himself i don't think.. he only test drove it for like 30mins cause i wanted my car back so bad.. i'm sure he has lots of insight, but i know some of you on here know how hard it is to get a hold of that man... plus he's 4 hours away.. i just can't drop it off for him to look at.. i wish i could.. so my mech/friend will have a look.. see what he thinks.
            98 Protege SE
            -------------------
            1.5L Turbo

Comment

Sweet set up.
              I am going to use a log many also.

Maybe you have a leak somewhere in your vacume lines. You could double check that.

You should also check the antifreeze lines that run to and from the turbo. Remember you said you saw the antifreeze by the radiator.
              So check in that area for a leak.
              Let the car run so that antifreeze can flow, and keep an eye on the temp.

Latz.
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

i'm driving it to the shop today.. just to locate the leak.. i'll keep ya posted
                98 Protege SE
                -------------------
                1.5L Turbo

Comment

Hey, i know what the leak is. I had the same thing on my BP kit. There is a coolant bypass pipe that passes behind the stock headers to the the heater. If this pipe is bumped, bent, or just not tightened down right it will drip and drip and drip. Locate this pipe at the bottom radiator hose and youll see it dripping.
                  sigpic

Comment

btw the radiator should be fine. My z5 radiator ran my turbo BP no prob.
                    sigpic

Comment

well it was the rad. it was nicked. the mechanic things the rad wasn't taken off during the turbo install.. i've never priced out a new rad, but its not that bad.. hopefully this is one problem solved...
                      98 Protege SE
                      -------------------
                      1.5L Turbo

Comment

Is the leak right at the turbo.

Check to see where the leak is.
                        You may need to make sure your engine is not moving and causing the turbo to hit the radiator. You may have some bad engine mounts.

At this point my Passenger engine mount is causing way to much movement of the engine. That could also be your problem.

I know I have to fix this before my T28 even gets thought of being installed.
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I stopped in to look at the old rad.. it was coming out one of the stems.. it was all bent.. got it replaced.. no leak anymore..

the idle problem is still there.. i adjusted the idle up.. even adjusted the BOV screw, still the same result.. so i have no idea right now..

the engine still gets hot.. i noticed of the two fans attached to my rad, one works on the AC compressor only.. would it be a good idea to wire it up so that both fans come on at the same time? i don't think 1 fan is gonna keep it cool.. for now i have to turn on the AC to get the other fan to start..
                          98 Protege SE
                          -------------------
                          1.5L Turbo

Comment

Check your coolant level. It shouldn't run hot like that all the time. If it's still a problem, could be thermostat.
                            My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                            - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

WOAH buy... long time w/ o posting here....

how are you all doing?

Hi Bruce, I tottaly lost contact with you, hope your pro, or should I say, pros are doing great.

Finally my dream to see a turboed Z5 became true... Its nice to see that someone took the iniciative , went ahead and made it real. I still remember looking for a turbo manifold 3 years ago, no luck. Now, with this ES store, it may be possible to obtain several turbo manifolds ....

I am really interested to hear more about how the car runs, does it spin the wheels ? does it respond as it it was something like a 1.8L or 2.0L engine ????

I used to do 50 shot dry and it was great, the car felt like a 1.8L third gear was just killer on juice.

What is not right yet is the price of the turbo set up... Still think that other than the nice BOV sound, nitrous , with a progressive controller are WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY cheaper and of course the best bang for the buck. Like someonelse said, these turbo kits should be around 1,500U$, specially because they have no FMIC, injectors, pump, etc, etc.... other than the manifold and the compressor, its all aluminum pipes and silicone hoses and other hardware.

But anyhow, congratulations !
                              I will be looking forward to see the dyno #s.

peace out,

Marcio ( Ex- nitrado).
                              Ex-nitrado, now only CAIdo

Comment

Since i haven't bought many turbo's, and don't really know what parts are worth.. i can't say whether the price was fair or not.. Yeah, ES should have the turbo Manifolds ready.. that is if he made more than one.. email and get a price.. i'm curious to know..

my car is an automatic.. right now it runs ok.. the sluggish takeoff with automatics is sometimes a pain.. you put the pedal down and the odd time it wants to think about going fast before reacting.. But.. when it hits boost time.. its fricken sweet.. you actually move back when it takes off.. the kit comes with a CAI from the fender..

i haven't spun the wheels.. and i prolly won't with an automatic.. manual might be way later in the project.. for now the auto will do.. just can't fix the stall problem.. its pissing me off..
                                98 Protege SE
                                -------------------
                                1.5L Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X