No announcement yet.

XelderX's '88 323 Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well crap. I've got everything put back together and should be ready to fire it up, but this Capri wiring harness is causing some issues. I've got a few wires that don't go anywhere and I'm having trouble sorting the diagrams out. I'm tempted to go back to the junkyard and pull a manual transmission harness which should clear some of this stuff up.

Right now I've got power to the dash, but the fuel pump isn't priming (no clue there) and the starter solenoid won't engage (probably need to hotwire the neutral safety switch).

Comment

Quick update...got it to turn over. Stupid neutral switch. Fuel pump is running.I checked for spark with my timing light and that seems to be working.

The issue now seems to be either the injectors or the fuel pressure regulator. The spark plugs are dry and there also isn't any fuel coming out of the return line on the fuel rail. The feed side has plenty of pressure.

Comment

I had a similar problem when i had installed a jdm b6t into my 323 gt, turned out that i had connected the fuel hose incorrectly to the fuel rail. The send hose was connected onto the fuel return line and the return hose was connected on the send line.
        Last edited by mazkam; 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mazkam View Post
          I had a similar problem when i had installed a jdm b6t into my 323 gt, turned out that i had connected the fuel hose incorrectly to the fuel rail. The send hose was connected onto the fuel return line and the return hose was connected on the send line.
          I thought that might be the case, but I pulled the injectors out and there was plenty of fuel in the rail. I've had the injectors sitting in some Seafoam for a little while. I'm hoping they are just clogged. I guess I need to plug them in and see if they are working before I cram them all back in under the throttle body.

Comment

Test the injectors when they are connect to the injector loom & test them individually on the battery to see if the they a opening up. This way you will be able to identify if they are getting current @ the loom & if they are working.

Comment

Making progress. Injectors are working fine. I'm getting ready to test the entire harness. It helps having a spare manifold/fuel rail to set up outside of the engine. Keeps the injectors from popping out of the rail and still lets you see if they are firing.

What is the actual trigger(s)for the injectors? I want to trace it back all the way from the trigger through the ECU to the injectors. What wire(s) do I need to ground or put voltage on to trick the ECU into firing the injectors without having to crank the car?

Comment

what set up are you trying to use to run the car? whats the harness/computer/distributor all from??

chances are you'll need to input an AC sign wave into the computer to fire the injectors.. I believe the computer uses the crank sensor in the distributor.. Its possible to do this with out cranking car... but it takes an old school brick of a soldering iron

Comment

Originally posted by crazycanadian View Post
                  what set up are you trying to use to run the car? whats the harness/computer/distributor all from??

chances are you'll need to input an AC sign wave into the computer to fire the injectors.. I believe the computer uses the crank sensor in the distributor.. Its possible to do this with out cranking car... but it takes an old school brick of a soldering iron
                  Distributor/wire harness/ECU/injectors are all from a Mercury Capri. I've got access to a scope so I can probably check the signal coming out of the disi if I need to.

I've also heard the VAF has something to do with whether the injectors fire or not. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by XelderX View Post
                    Distributor/wire harness/ECU/injectors are all from a Mercury Capri. I've got access to a scope so I can probably check the signal coming out of the disi if I need to.

I've also heard the VAF has something to do with whether the injectors fire or not. Can anyone confirm?
                    Vaf I believe turns on the fuel pump..

I am almost positive you'll need to create an AC sign wave... do you have an old school soldering iron that you can almost feel hum or does hum when you turn it on??

Comment

No worries. I got it figured out. It was a power issue at the main relay. Just one of the wiring issues where the Capri engine harness connects to the chassis harness by the fuse box. I had to modify a few of the factory connectors there to mate everything up. Just missed one.

Comment

Awesome news! The wagon is 100% operational. I got to drive her down to the inspection station today and she passed easily. I've got a little more tweaking to do on the motor. It feels a little underwhelming, but I'm sure the timing isn't optimal and it is still burning through some pretty old fuel. The DOHC is much smoother accelerating than the SOHC and I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.

Next step is to get her all cleaned up inside and out.

Comment

Hey, if anyone has one laying around. I need a driver's side seatbelt.

Comment

awesome!! glad to hear she's up and running.

yea definitely look into the timing if you think it's off, you can probably get away with running 2-3 degrees advanced on 87 octane as well.

i love your wagon soo much, if you were to ever part with it please keep my info handy lol, i'll pm it to you if you'd like!!!!
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                              awesome!! glad to hear she's up and running.

yea definitely look into the timing if you think it's off, you can probably get away with running 2-3 degrees advanced on 87 octane as well.

i love your wagon soo much, if you were to ever part with it please keep my info handy lol, i'll pm it to you if you'd like!!!!
                              Thanks for the advice. I did a quick timing check when the new engine first ran to adjust the disi, but I haven't rechecked with the motor at normal operating temps.

It's going to be tough for me to part with this car anytime soon. It's such a good, simple car with tons of personality.

Comment

do work man, i gotta lotta work to keep on par with u on my wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X