Michael0008 bf Etude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pommyvince View Post
    Looks like you're making good progress. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the five stud hubs on the rear.

It'd be a good idea to check with your local "certification" guy on whether you need to get that axle X rayed and sleeved...all the cert guys in Christchurch require it on modified axles.

What did you use to fill that engine mount ??

haha window sealant don't worry im not going to use it.
    im trying to find a place in nz that make hard mounts for bf as i want to do it right the first time
    because to use the factory front mount i have to cut the bottom of the plate off with the studs and shift it forward 2 cm and weld it

any way went though the long process of changing the brake booster and changing from cable to hydraulic to suit the different gearbox ,took ages have to take all the engine mounts out to just change the dam thing

cable

clutch master cylinder bolts right up to where the cable use to be
    only had to drill the stud out on the lantis clutch master cylinder and one in the foot pedal.so no more cable for me

also some pictures of the differences between bf brake booster and master to the lantis v6 one

lantis one has a much larger diameter so much bigger that it hits the metal lip thats under the vin number on the body
    so you have to use the spacer that was in between the brake booster and firewall on the lantis

and done still not fully happy with the gap about 3mm gap now between the engine and master

hopefully start the 5 stud rear tomorrow

etude ftw!

Comment

I had a similar problem with the brake booster ( though I am using an early 626 fwd drive one with a MS8 master cylinder)....I gently took a panel hammer to the body lip and "rounded" it up slightly. I'm guessing your firewall is the same as a std. BF.

I re-made the lower front engine mount on the engine (6mm steel) and slotted the holes in the crossmember to take the front mount.....might be easier than trying to get a new urethane mount made.

Here are a couple of pics that night help.
      Attached Files

Comment

Never knew Michael was a member on here, wonder who else off AMAZD has joined the site :D

Comment

micheal hasnt started the 5stud hubs on the back yet , he cant get the bolt from the control arms to the hub out as its bent

Comment

Originally posted by LockiesGTR View Post
            Never knew Michael was a member on here, wonder who else off AMAZD has joined the site :D
            im on a lot of the Mazda forums Mitch

Originally posted by wgneyz View Post
            micheal hasnt started the 5stud hubs on the back yet , he cant get the bolt from the control arms to the hub out as its bent
            also yes dam the bolts that go through the knuckles and being bent

also Pommyvince cheers for the pictures, glad im not the only one who had this problem.
            did you have to change the length of the rod and fork that goes to the pedal and what clutch master cylinder you using lantis one wont work?
            Last edited by michael0008; 01-05-2011, 02:25 AM.

etude ftw!

Comment

pick a part mish michael

Comment

Originally posted by wgneyz View Post
                pick a part mish michael
                yea i think its time also might find a radiator thats the right size

etude ftw!

Comment

yea haha next week mayb

Comment

Clutch master cylinder I used was from a early 90's 626 V6 sporthatch and I just lined up the pushrod as straight as I could get it and marked the hole postionfor the pin on the pedal, took the pedal off(easier said than done) and drilled a new hole in it for the clevis pin.

The brake booster pushrod....I extended the forked nut by welding on a piece of 20mm bar, drilled/tapped to suit and used the existing pin hole in the brake pedal.

Here are a couple of pics that you were after of the gear linkage. A cut and shut job using BF gearchange and some of the 626 bits. I internally strengthed the join with a bar before welding up. Space is a bit tight down the side of the exhaust !

Re: query on power steering pump.....I am using the pump with a BF power steer rack...just had to get one hose made for the pump to rack line ( about $100 NZD) If you check Dan (Sac) first work log of the red car it'll show you how to gut the pump and use it as an idler pulley.

Sorry about massive photo size !
                    Attached Files

Comment

got my bbs wheels 16x7 40 offset and weight of a wheel is 6.2kgs
                      and look ****ing good

just need slamming ,hopefully get bg coil-overs for it and put bf top hats on them

its a bit weird on the back going 5 stud the ba spring is wider then the bf spring ,so bf top hat doesn't sit well on the ba spring .so coil overs should fix this
                      Last edited by michael0008; 01-14-2011, 05:01 AM.

etude ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by michael0008 View Post
                        got my bbs wheels 16x7 40 offset and weight of a wheel is 6.2kgs and look ****ing good
                        Wow, at just 6.2kg/13.7lbs those wheels are incredibly light. That should offset the reduced ride compliance due to the shorter sidewall in a very nice way. Traction will also increase as the rubber stays on the ground more often.

Why the 40mm offset, though? The Etude generally use 45mm like other BFs, correct? Or, do your newer chassis hubs change that? Btw, which hubs/knuckles did you go with to get the 5-lug bolt pattern?
                        Scott F. Williams
                        Team Director
                        Usually Sideways Rally Team
                        www.usrallyteam.com

Comment

Like the new wheels. Always was a fan of bbs mesh
                          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

great progress so far! love the new rims too, they suit the car
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Looks good! I didn't have those brake booster clearance issues. I guess good thing I'm LHD. Lol

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

finish putting the 225/55/16 tyres on turns out they hit the body so going to to get some more tyres this time 205/45/16

also sorry about the crap photos the dam camera screen doesn't work and the white car and wheels make the images go blurry

etude ftw!

Comment

Working...
                                X